How can i check my combined bromine in a spa

Jun 28, 2011
i have the taylor test kit. when doing the OTO test. i get a dark yellow reading suggesting 10 or higher.
Can one use the regular 10cc chlorine test on bromine or am i wasting my time. i have tested it this way a couple of times to see how much combined bromine/organic matter i have.
i seem to always get a reading of 2.5-3 even after i shock it. i am beginning to think that this test does not work with bromine.
how can i check my combined bromine in a spa, or do i not need to do this just shock on a weekly basis?

thanks

You can use any chlorine test kit to check bromine, BUT keep in mind that Combined Bromine will measure a Free Chlorine (FC). There is no distinction between Free Bromine and Combined Bromine (at least when the combined bromine is bromine combined with ammonia -- monobromamine). So bromine test kits just report this as Total Bromine and there is no need for an R-0003 reagent. Note that unlike combined chlorine, combined bromine is still a disinfectant so isn't of concern, though it can smell different than bromine.

Bromine units are 2.25 times higher than chlorine so multiply any FC reading by 2.25 to get Total Bromine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.