Rain really did a number on the pool - advice?

lances4803

Sep 6, 2009
TN
On Thu night we had 2" on rain in 45 minutes that has turned the pool very cloudy and slightly green. Had to drain 2" out.
Pump is working fine, normal pressure. Water has been crystal clear up until then, with good numbers.
I was reading that rain can bring a lot of crud down out of the sky and into the pool.

Ran numbers yesterday:
FC - 1
CC- 0
Alk - 60 (has usually been 70-80)
Ph - 7.8 (has never varied from 7.5)
CYA - 40

Added bleach, baking soda and acid. This morning:
FC - 3
CC - 0.5
Alk - 80
Ph - 7.5
CYA - 40

Am I right in thinking to shock it and then wait for the cloudyness to work it's way out?
(The only times this pool has ever looked like this is during Spring cleaning, and then it clears in one day.)

Yes, I'd guess that FC level of 1 gave the organics a chance to live long and prosper. Shock time.
And, as you know it takes sand longer to filter out the microscopic bits, can you add a bit of DE through the skimmer to assist?

We try to add a little chlorine before the rain, assuming we're home to do so.

Do you maintain your chlorine at a high enough level to give you some wiggle room (6-7) in such situations, or do you generally keep it on the low end (3-4)?

If low end, you may wish to increase your level somewhat to avoid such events.

Good luck.

I was actually cutting grass when this storm hit. It was incredibly fast and shut down roads in the area!

I ran Borates last year which I should probably do again this year. Gave me a little wiggle room.
Yes, I have kept it right at 4, and it bit me.
Time to get my Borate mix in the pool and bump my chlorine up.

Thanks much for the advice.

lances4803 said:
I was actually cutting grass when this storm hit. It was incredibly fast and shut down roads in the area!

I ran Borates last year which I should probably do again this year. Gave me a little wiggle room.
Yes, I have kept it right at 4, and it bit me.
Time to get my Borate mix in the pool and bump my chlorine up.

Thanks much for the advice.
Borates aren't supposed to dissapear, have you measured them this year?

lances4803 said:
On Thu night we had 2" on rain in 45 minutes that has turned the pool very cloudy and slightly green. Had to drain 2" out.
Pump is working fine, normal pressure. Water has been crystal clear up until then, with good numbers.
I was reading that rain can bring a lot of crud down out of the sky and into the pool.

Ran numbers yesterday:
FC - 1
CC- 0
Alk - 60 (has usually been 70-80)
Ph - 7.8 (has never varied from 7.5)
CYA - 40

Added bleach, baking soda and acid. This morning:
FC - 3
CC - 0.5
Alk - 80
Ph - 7.5
CYA - 40

Am I right in thinking to shock it and then wait for the cloudyness to work it's way out?
(The only times this pool has ever looked like this is during Spring cleaning, and then it clears in one day.)
hi, not being far from your situation/location. I had 2"+ and since daily I just use test strips noticed small little bubbles
on my side wall/bottom even with my FC near 7, SWG usually has it nearer 10 FC. I added bleach and proceeded to brush
so I might miss the bloom. it was just my guess those bubbles were algae starting, you might keep an eye out
and stay a step ahead. funny thing a 1/2 mile away just North, got no rain. yep needs vacuum too again.

Richard320,
We used to live in L.A. (Eagle Rock) and appreciated those 5 inches of rain each year. Now we're living in South Florida where we get 5 feet of rain per year.

Well, it's usually green here, but hot and steamy.

Do you ever drive over to check the chemistry at Raging Waters? :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
topher said:
as I'm sitting here reading this.. thinking I should add chlorine to the pool before the dark cloud gets here.. I hear the heavens open up. this sux, just cleared pool a couple days ago.
I don't add anything to the water ahead of a storm - you never really know what will happen in terms of volume of water. I wait until after and usually do nothing until the next time I add chlorine (just after the sun is off the pool around 6pm.). Even with significant (several inches rain) I don't find I need to adjust much.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Keep your FC a little higher, I think that's the issue. As a percentage of total volume, even 2" of rain should not be enough to jack up your chemistry. If you have problems after rain, it's because you're tottering on the edge of a problem to begin with. I pray for rain because I stole Richard320's idea and divert rainwater from my roof to fill my pool. I'm not paying out of the tap if it falls for free from the sky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.