Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Correct water level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Correct water level?

Hi,

I refilled my pool and the water is now above the skimmer openings. What's the correct level for the pool water? Also, when I tried to get the filter to suck/operate the skimmers, the skimmer doors would not fold down like I thought they would. Is it because the water level is too high?

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Correct water level?

Your was level is in fact too high, that's why the door isn't working.

I keep mine half way between second and third screw from the bottom. The more experienced will pop in and let you know what level they keep theirs, but between second and third works well for us here. The weir door operates as it should at that level.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

3. Back To Top    #3

About the 1/2 way point of the skimmer. For me, that's at the top of the middle screw. I like to run mine a little high to allow for backwashing and evaporation, so I let the rains raise my level until it interferes with the flow.
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lee872
    About the 1/2 way point of the skimmer. For me, that's at the top of the middle screw. I like to run mine a little high to allow for backwashing and evaporation, so I let the rains raise my level until it interferes with the flow.
    X2
    Midpoint or a bit above midway on skimmer. Evaporates fast with the wind we get.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks like the same skimmer I have. On mine, there is a little sideways pointing triangle or chevron molded into one side of the face trim between the two center screws to indicate the "proper" water level. Similar to what others have said, I usually fill to the second screw from the top and let it evaporate down to that arrow, between the 2nd and 3rd screw.

Dave
    32K gallon, 20x40 vinyl IG. Liner replaced 5/2010. Hayward SuperPump 1HP single speed running 24/7,Hayward CL-200 in-line chlorinator. Hayward S244T sand filter (new sand 5/2013). Dolphin Diagnostic cleaner. Taylor K2006 Test Kit.