Ancient Laars series 2 esg250n- fix it up, or replace?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Our new house has a very old Teledyne Laars 250N series 2 natural gas pool heater. Everything else has been upgraded (pump, filter, vac). The burner and assemblies are on their last legs. Is this model worth putting money into fixing it up? Or should I replace the whole thing if something, say over $300 in parts, breaks?

If it is time to replace, who makes the best for the $$$ pool heater for a 17k gallon pool?

Don't invest any $$ into that unit.

I sell and install about 90 Rheem/Raypak heaters a season. I hardly ever get any call backs from the customers and when I do it's usually an issue that they caused. It a very solid unit and is comparable to the unit you have now. It is an electronic spark ignition and gives you a digital readout of what's going on.

This is my favorite unit to install and with the heater you currently have it almost an exact match for foot print and height. Overall a very easy install.

Thanks for the input. I
Took the burner assembly out. There was 4" of mud and dirt in the bottom. Cleaned it all out, burners look fine, supply tube is rusted but no holes yet. Pilot assembly is junk. Thinking about trying a pilot assembly, but if the gas control unit is bad, go for the recommended rheem.

What's the difference between a Raypak and a Rheem? What size would you recommend for a 17k gallon pool that's a 12x44 lap pool, outdoors. We only plan to run it to warm up the pool in the early summer and to keep the pool open longer in the fall. I tried to swim today, too cold. Surface temp is 74, I'm guessing I need at least 80... My dad and I plan to install ourselves to save money. We're pretty handy, it can't be that difficult. Looks like it needs power, my current Laars doesn't require power. There's a blank for a breaker in my timer/electric box, so I can make a circuit there if it only needs 115v (the blank is a single).

Raypak and Rheem are the same. Most dealers sell Raypak as Rheem is a name sold by certain special dealers. The size depends on how fast you would want to heat things up. If you don't mind a little extra time you could go with the 266 which is 266K BTU's. Yes it does need electric. You can either install a separate breaker or you can run the electric to the timer box and put it on the same two legs as the pool pump. This way the heater will only have power when the pump is actually running. The heater can be either 240 or 110. There are wires specific for each.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.