A spot of algae

Mar 7, 2013
We have only had our pool for two months and we were recently gone for two weeks. We had someone coming to pour in bleach every other day but upon return we have a few small patches of algae. On is on a bench and some is on the skimmer. It isn't getting better or worse. I added a bunch of chlorine and no change. I've read things about algae and I'm not sure if having a few spots means we have to shock and do all these things.

How do we remove the spots? My husband tried a brush on the bench and it did not come up.

If the chlorine is at a normal level is it harmful to be in the pool if there is a spot of algae on the bench?

Cassidy336 said:
We have only had our pool for two months and we were recently gone for two weeks. We had someone coming to pour in bleach every other day but upon return we have a few small patches of algae. On is on a bench and some is on the skimmer. It isn't getting better or worse. I added a bunch of chlorine and no change. I've read things about algae and I'm not sure if having a few spots means we have to shock and do all these things.

How do we remove the spots? My husband tried a brush on the bench and it did not come up.

If the chlorine is at a normal level is it harmful to be in the pool if there is a spot of algae on the bench?
Harmful to your health? Right now? I doubt it. People swim in ponds and have for millenium. But it will get worse. That algae will consume FC, which will allow more algae to grow, which will consume more FC, which will allow more algae to grow, which will consume more FC, which will allow more algae to grow, which will consume more FC, and so on, until you have a thick green mess with zero visibility. And by then, any bleach you pour in will be rendered instantly useless, which means no sanitizing and the possibility of someone drowning with no sign of them even being in the pool.

So the earlier you kill it, the better. You don't want to engage in one of these three-week, mega-gallons of bleach green-to-clean battles.

[center:2eh43t8f][youtube:2eh43t8f]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2eh43t8f][/center:2eh43t8f]

Can you post test results? :testresults:

Have you got the proper test kit, and have you read http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.