Help with Brown spots

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi,

I drained about 1/4 to 1/3 of my pool two nights ago. I promptly refilled with clean water within 15 hours after that. The stairs that were exposed to air during the draining process now have brown spots on them. If I rub my fingernails hard on the spots, they seem to come off. The spots are not easily removed; they seem like pieces of metal. What are they and how do I remove them?? I've also attached pictures of a napkin that I stuck directly into the pool and rubbed onto the spots.

Thanks and have a great day.

sm

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 89
Re: Correct water level?

K9anakin said:
The brown spots look like rust. Did you refill with well water?

In my inexperienced eyes, that's what they look, and feel, like. I used water from the spigot and our house doesn't use well water. It's odd that other areas of the pool don't show the spots.

How can I remove the spots, without damaging the liner?

Do you have any pucks laying around? Hold one on the stain for a few minutes. If it disappears/fades, it's organic and proper chlorine levels will take care of it. If not, crush up some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock or nylon, and hold that on the stain. If it disappears, it's metal/rust, and you will have to do that to all of them.

Thanks for the Vitamin C tip. I tried it on a spot and it seemed to loosen the specs to the point where I can rub it out with my finger. I called the pool company that installed the liner and they said it's likely my water has a lot of iron/metals in it. So they said to get some treatment chemicals and pour it into the pool, and that's the only way to take out the specs.

Do you agree with this? The last thing I want to do is upset the chemistry balance of the pool. Also, my CYA levels are high already, so I don't want that getting any higher.

Any thoughts? Thank!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.