Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Brown spots

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Brown spots

Hi,

I drained about 1/4 to 1/3 of my pool two nights ago. I promptly refilled with clean water within 15 hours after that. The stairs that were exposed to air during the draining process now have brown spots on them. If I rub my fingernails hard on the spots, they seem to come off. The spots are not easily removed; they seem like pieces of metal. What are they and how do I remove them?? I've also attached pictures of a napkin that I stuck directly into the pool and rubbed onto the spots.

Thanks and have a great day.

sm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (116.8 KB, 89 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (65.1 KB, 89 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (103.7 KB, 89 views)
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Brown spots

Pictures of napkin attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

3. Back To Top    #3

Correct water level?

delete

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Re: Correct water level?

Even though they are different subjects, please keep your posts under one thread so responders don't get confused.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The brown spots look like rust. Did you refill with well water?
    11,700 gal. 21' x 54" AGP, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by K9anakin
    The brown spots look like rust. Did you refill with well water?
    In my inexperienced eyes, that's what they look, and feel, like. I used water from the spigot and our house doesn't use well water. It's odd that other areas of the pool don't show the spots.

How can I remove the spots, without damaging the liner?

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi,

I'm looking for more ideas on what this issue might be and how to get rid of the stains. Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sunday bump! Please help as I only have time on the weekends to work on the pool. Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have any pucks laying around? Hold one on the stain for a few minutes. If it disappears/fades, it's organic and proper chlorine levels will take care of it. If not, crush up some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock or nylon, and hold that on the stain. If it disappears, it's metal/rust, and you will have to do that to all of them.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the Vitamin C tip. I tried it on a spot and it seemed to loosen the specs to the point where I can rub it out with my finger. I called the pool company that installed the liner and they said it's likely my water has a lot of iron/metals in it. So they said to get some treatment chemicals and pour it into the pool, and that's the only way to take out the specs.

Do you agree with this? The last thing I want to do is upset the chemistry balance of the pool. Also, my CYA levels are high already, so I don't want that getting any higher.

Any thoughts? Thank!

11. Back To Top    #11

I've never had to do it, and I've only read about it from other users, but I think for spot stains you want to use vitamin c on a spot basis like you just did. It's a lot of work, but the simplest and cheapest way to get the stains out. Wait for others to chime in, though.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry