Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking screen off intex return eyeball

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking screen off intex return eyeball

Has anyone cut off the screen on an intex return eyeball? If so wouldn't you think it would increase circulation??
    24x54 Saltwater 8000 (thepoolfactory), Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1.5Hp 1-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, AquaBot Pura 4X

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taking screen off intex return eyeball

Mine screwed off and I do not use them. Even though it helps, it isn't dramatic, but I will take anything I can get that helps even a little. If you take it off the suction side, be mindful that it's there to keep children's long hair and clothes from being sucked in and held under water.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're talking about the screen at the end of the actual eye ball, I removed it with a Dremmel. It cut down on the back pressure and noise.
    1) 7500 Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool / 800 Gallon Gunite Spa
    2) EasyTouch 8 Automation / IC20 Intellichlor
    3) Intelliflo VS Pump for pool and water features - Cartridge and DE Filter / 2 Speed Pentair Pump for Spa and Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Well when I installed my hayward skimmer I installed the outlet that it came with to. I noticed that the hayward outlet had more pressure, but it was leaking a little bit. So me i kept tinkering with it until I broke it. I reinstalled the intex outlet and naturally the pressure was not as good. I will remove the eyeball screen today. Hopefully that helps.
    24x54 Saltwater 8000 (thepoolfactory), Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1.5Hp 1-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, AquaBot Pura 4X

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I took the screen off and it seemed to make the flow worse. So if anyone out there is thinking about taking the screen off the intex eyeball, DO NOT!! I some how rigged the hayward return back to the pool. The flow is so much better with the hayward return!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by thedarktitan
    Well I took the screen off and it seemed to make the flow worse. So if anyone out there is thinking about taking the screen off the intex eyeball, DO NOT!! I some how rigged the hayward return back to the pool. The flow is so much better with the hayward return!
    I know you said you were going with the Hayward, but I'm curious exactly which Intex fisheye you had. Mine is what came with the Ultra Frame, a fairly large (sorry, didn't measure) fitting with a molded-on screen capped off by the fish-eye attachment, which had the central outlet for aiming and eight screened sections around the outside, all blocked from within by rubber flaps.

When hooking up my new pump, I was concerned with the pressure 50 gpm would create, so I hastily cut off all of the flaps. The resulting output was just too undirected and "wishy-washy," so I managed to glue four of the flaps back in! Much happier with the flow and directionality now.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ehh mine was the intex ultra as well. I just took my drill and drilled some holes in both screens then broke them off with some pliers. What I noticed was just a bunch of water flowing out, but with no "power" behind it. I actually think the intex pushed water out better before I broke the screens off.