May 30, 2013
Hello! I've been sailing after switching over to BBB three weeks ago and getting my test kit.

My new test numbers are:

FC 6.0
CC < 0.5
pH 7.5-7.6
TA 70
CH 300
CYA 55

My chlorine has been pretty good, but with full sunshine and long hours in the pool, I can lose around 3ppm a day. That's roughly 1 gallon of 8.25% a day to get it back up again.

I've been keeping FC from 4-6. I have zero to 0.5 loss of FC overnight. Water is CRYSTAL.

Anyhow, my kids have eczema and my swimmers have been getting out of the pool with VERY dry skin. We've been using a prescription cream for them, and moisturizer for my wife and I, but our skin is extremely dry as well.

What could be the cause for this? Is this normal with the BBB method? What could I do to improve this issue? Does my chemistry seem sound?

Thanks again!

Agreed. Long hours in the pool will draw water/fluid out of your body, leaving your skin dry. Drink fresh water upon exiting the pool.
Eczema, irritation, rash can also be caused by some laundry fabric soaps and softeners, especially scented ones, used on towels and clothing.
Good luck with finding the culprit!

I had a little of that when I first started using my pool. Mostly on my feet. I think it was plaster dust. When I'd brush hard, I'd see cloudiness about 2" away from the surface. Eventually, I managed to brush it away and vacuum it all up and I don't see that anymore, and no dry skin problems either. It could have been something else, but you mention worn plaster.

My 3-year-old has had some minor eczema. Our pediatrician recommended using an antibacterial soap when bathing, and if the eczema is bad, also add a capful of bleach to the tub. Those two things are supposed to address some of the skin bacteria that irritate the skin once he starts scratching. More importantly, whenever he gets out of the tub we IMMEDIATELY towel him off and apply Aquaphor to his skin. He doesn't need moisturizer; the skin is already plenty moist after a bath or an hour in the pool. The Aquaphor helps seal the moisture into the skin so it doesn't dry out. So after we swim, our routine is a quick shower in the house and then lube him up.

I also added salt to my pool this year since it's supposed to be a little easier on the skin. IIRC I added 400 pounds into 18k gallons for around 2900 PPM. So far I give it a thumbs up; it's had a subtle but nice effect on how my skin feels.

What about adding a bit of salt to the pool? Don't have to have a SWG to enjoy the feel of some salt. Start low (1500ppm)and increase to what you like.
My family was skeptical at first and swore they could taste the ocean, now they like the way their skin feels after getting out.
Of course I need the salt for my SWG but you can add it for the feeling it provides.

I had the same problem with my skin. After the first dip in the pool, I drove myself nuts itching. I was going to buy the Goodbye Dry stuff at Walmart, but after a little reading here I knew not to. I added 200 pounds of pool salt to the water and it made a world of difference. My skin is fine and my hair no longer feels like straw. It has been the best 20 bucks I have spent!

aretha1075 said:
I had the same problem with my skin. After the first dip in the pool, I drove myself nuts itching. I was going to buy the Goodbye Dry stuff at Walmart, but after a little reading here I knew not to. I added 200 pounds of pool salt to the water and it made a world of difference. My skin is fine and my hair no longer feels like straw. It has been the best 20 bucks I have spent!

Is there a chart somewhere on website that states how much salt should be added per gallons of pool? Looking to try this method first for dry skin issues. As for eye irritation, I find that as long as my ph is in it's "sweet spot" there isn't any irritation to the eyes.

redhdgirl417 said:
aretha1075 said:

Is there a chart somewhere on website that states how much salt should be added per gallons of pool? Looking to try this method first for dry skin issues. As for eye irritation, I find that as long as my ph is in it's "sweet spot" there isn't any irritation to the eyes.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/adding-salt-to-improve-feel-of-water-t14763.html Pool Calculator can do the math, just set a target number based on what you read.

Richard320 said:
redhdgirl417 said:
aretha1075 said:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/adding-salt-to-improve-feel-of-water-t14763.html Pool Calculator can do the math, just set a target number based on what you read.

Thank you Richard!!!!!! Knew it had to be on here somewhere. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.