Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dry Skin

1. Back To Top    #1

Dry Skin

Hello! I've been sailing after switching over to BBB three weeks ago and getting my test kit.

My new test numbers are:

FC 6.0
    CC < 0.5
    pH 7.5-7.6
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA 55

My chlorine has been pretty good, but with full sunshine and long hours in the pool, I can lose around 3ppm a day. That's roughly 1 gallon of 8.25% a day to get it back up again.

I've been keeping FC from 4-6. I have zero to 0.5 loss of FC overnight. Water is CRYSTAL.

Anyhow, my kids have eczema and my swimmers have been getting out of the pool with VERY dry skin. We've been using a prescription cream for them, and moisturizer for my wife and I, but our skin is extremely dry as well.

What could be the cause for this? Is this normal with the BBB method? What could I do to improve this issue? Does my chemistry seem sound?

Thanks again!
    Volume: 28K
    Cartridge Filter: 4x Haywood C-138 O-E, Flow GPM 150, clean pressure 11 psi. Filters 3 yrs. old
    10 yrs old, in-ground w/ spa, gunite, waterfall to pool. Gunite rough, pocked in corners
    2 Speed Pump: Emerson HP 2.0/.25, RPM 3450/1725
    In-Line Clorinator: Pentar Model 320; Heater: Gas 400K BTU; Cleaner: Ray-Vac BROKEN (hose cracked).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dry Skin

The numbers seem fine.

Dry skin, not sure. Too much sun? Drink more water?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed. Long hours in the pool will draw water/fluid out of your body, leaving your skin dry. Drink fresh water upon exiting the pool.
    Eczema, irritation, rash can also be caused by some laundry fabric soaps and softeners, especially scented ones, used on towels and clothing.
    Good luck with finding the culprit!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a little of that when I first started using my pool. Mostly on my feet. I think it was plaster dust. When I'd brush hard, I'd see cloudiness about 2" away from the surface. Eventually, I managed to brush it away and vacuum it all up and I don't see that anymore, and no dry skin problems either. It could have been something else, but you mention worn plaster.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

My 3-year-old has had some minor eczema. Our pediatrician recommended using an antibacterial soap when bathing, and if the eczema is bad, also add a capful of bleach to the tub. Those two things are supposed to address some of the skin bacteria that irritate the skin once he starts scratching. More importantly, whenever he gets out of the tub we IMMEDIATELY towel him off and apply Aquaphor to his skin. He doesn't need moisturizer; the skin is already plenty moist after a bath or an hour in the pool. The Aquaphor helps seal the moisture into the skin so it doesn't dry out. So after we swim, our routine is a quick shower in the house and then lube him up.

I also added salt to my pool this year since it's supposed to be a little easier on the skin. IIRC I added 400 pounds into 18k gallons for around 2900 PPM. So far I give it a thumbs up; it's had a subtle but nice effect on how my skin feels.
    Maryland
    18000 gallon plaster pool, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 300 gas heater, 1.0 HP two-speed Pentair Superflo, Polaris 380
    Caldera Marino hot tub, 360 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

What about adding a bit of salt to the pool? Don't have to have a SWG to enjoy the feel of some salt. Start low (1500ppm)and increase to what you like.
    My family was skeptical at first and swore they could taste the ocean, now they like the way their skin feels after getting out.
    Of course I need the salt for my SWG but you can add it for the feeling it provides.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had the same problem with my skin. After the first dip in the pool, I drove myself nuts itching. I was going to buy the Goodbye Dry stuff at Walmart, but after a little reading here I knew not to. I added 200 pounds of pool salt to the water and it made a world of difference. My skin is fine and my hair no longer feels like straw. It has been the best 20 bucks I have spent!
    Intex 24'x52" Ultra Frame AG, 12,481 gal.,
    Krystal Clear Model 633t pump, 2,500 GPH, 1/2 HP
    Install 5-17-2013

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by aretha1075
    I had the same problem with my skin. After the first dip in the pool, I drove myself nuts itching. I was going to buy the Goodbye Dry stuff at Walmart, but after a little reading here I knew not to. I added 200 pounds of pool salt to the water and it made a world of difference. My skin is fine and my hair no longer feels like straw. It has been the best 20 bucks I have spent!

Is there a chart somewhere on website that states how much salt should be added per gallons of pool? Looking to try this method first for dry skin issues. As for eye irritation, I find that as long as my ph is in it's "sweet spot" there isn't any irritation to the eyes.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417

Is there a chart somewhere on website that states how much salt should be added per gallons of pool? Looking to try this method first for dry skin issues. As for eye irritation, I find that as long as my ph is in it's "sweet spot" there isn't any irritation to the eyes.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/addin...er-t14763.html Pool Calculator can do the math, just set a target number based on what you read.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417

http://www.troublefreepool.com/addin...er-t14763.html Pool Calculator can do the math, just set a target number based on what you read.
    Thank you Richard!!!!!! Knew it had to be on here somewhere.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

11. Back To Top    #11

Great questions (and answers). Thank you!!!
    24' round/52" deep Leisure Bay AG est. 13.5k gallons
    Hayward TS180 Sand Filter