1 h.p. timer?

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
So, I'm getting ready to install the new Hayward pump soon, running power down the side of the house to the pump location. Since it has no timer of any sort, I thought I should perhaps investigate upgrading my current model, one of those manual 24-hour timers with the small clips that go up and down for timing to the half-hour. The one I have had no "on" switch and my old one is running the pump on my daughter's aquarium :lol:

I went to eBay for a quick look last night and I saw a few like I've had and a few digital models, but something stood out. In addition to the typical 15-amp ratings or whatever (what my GFI circuits are rated for) I noticed a lot of "1/2 h.p." and even some "1/4 h.p." Since my pump is a 1 h.p., that got me concerned. Do I need to be looking for a timer specifically rated for 1 h.p., or is anything rated 15 amps good enough? And if it's the former, what are some low-cost options?

You really need one that's rated for the hp pump you have or greater. Most timers that are just rated in amps aren't rated for use on motor loads. An inductive (motor) load is hard on contacts and if they aren't rated for it they don't last long as a rule.

mickey4paws-IntermaticTimer.jpg

There are a few others pictured here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.