Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 h.p. timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

1 h.p. timer?

So, I'm getting ready to install the new Hayward pump soon, running power down the side of the house to the pump location. Since it has no timer of any sort, I thought I should perhaps investigate upgrading my current model, one of those manual 24-hour timers with the small clips that go up and down for timing to the half-hour. The one I have had no "on" switch and my old one is running the pump on my daughter's aquarium

I went to eBay for a quick look last night and I saw a few like I've had and a few digital models, but something stood out. In addition to the typical 15-amp ratings or whatever (what my GFI circuits are rated for) I noticed a lot of "1/2 h.p." and even some "1/4 h.p." Since my pump is a 1 h.p., that got me concerned. Do I need to be looking for a timer specifically rated for 1 h.p., or is anything rated 15 amps good enough? And if it's the former, what are some low-cost options?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 h.p. timer?

You really need one that's rated for the hp pump you have or greater. Most timers that are just rated in amps aren't rated for use on motor loads. An inductive (motor) load is hard on contacts and if they aren't rated for it they don't last long as a rule.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Why not just buy an Intermatic timer and run the output to another box with a plug? Or hard-wire it and be done with it for the next twenty years?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Why not just buy an Intermatic timer and run the output to another box with a plug? Or hard-wire it and be done with it for the next twenty years?
    I'm afraid I'm not well-versed on Intermatic or other pool-specific timers. Do you have anything particular in mind?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

5. Back To Top    #5

There are a few others pictured here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Does anyone know what brand/model/specifications this timer is? I'm hoping that with a 20-amp rating it might also handle a 1-horse pump.

http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/equ ... receptacle