Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: RS-485 communication cable

1. Back To Top    #1

RS-485 communication cable

Hello. I just got solar installed. The installer used the Pentair Sun Touch controller for the solar. I have a pentair variable speed pump and an intellichlor. To connect the pump to the Suntouch, the manual says to use a RS-485 communication cable: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/354604. ... EPLACE.pdf. Where do I get the cable?
    approximately 14,000 gallon polygonal pool. Pentair SWCG, Pentair VS, Pentair cartridge filter, Fafco Solar Panels, and a Pentair Legend pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: RS-485 communication cable

Your pump should have come with a black cable with stripped wires (4) on one end and a screw in multipin connector on the other side. The multipin connector screws into the side of the pump (under a black plastic cover). Check the manual for your pump (you can download it from Pentair's web site) to find the location. Unfortunately, those wires are rather expensive and proprietary, so you would need to purchase one if you can't locate the one shipped with the pump.

Something like this would likely work:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2610861798 ... s&var=sbar
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

3. Back To Top    #3

We did not put the pool in. I have not seen the cable with the stuff they left. I suspect that was either kept by the pool builder or toss by the previous owners. The pump is Pentiar IntelliFlo VS-3050 (4x160). From the manual "The IntelliFlo VS-3050 can be controlled by a SunTouch system via the RS-485 communication cable (P/N 350122). To connect the two wire RS-485 cable from the IntelliFlo VS-3050 drive assembly to the motherboard located in the SunTouch Power Center:" It looks like that is the right part number you posted. Thank you.
    approximately 14,000 gallon polygonal pool. Pentair SWCG, Pentair VS, Pentair cartridge filter, Fafco Solar Panels, and a Pentair Legend pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

I do have another question. I am having trouble figuring out if I can control everything from the Suntouch. I have the solar, heater, intellichlor, booster pump, and pool & spa lights. I am okay with having to use manual control, but I would like to be use the Suntouch for the intellichlor so I set the pump speeds and SWG settings.