leaking filter

Jun 19, 2013
Marietta GA
Last week I developed a leak around the filter drain cap. I was also due to change my sand and change my filter valve, so I did. I noted the threads on the filter shell that the drain cap screws onto were damaged and figured that was the source of the leak. I fixed it with some fiberglass marine epoxy. I put the new filter valve on without difficulty, making sure all the gaskets and rings were properly fitted. After cranking everything back up, the drain cap stopped leaking, but now I had a bigger leak of unknown origin. Someone told me it may have something to do with the new valve gaskets. I took the valve off and examined everything closely. Everything seemed to be in order. Then I switched the valve from filter to recirculate and the leaking stopped. Would this lead one to believe it was the new valve? The only other thing I can pin the leak on would be a damaged filter tank, which I cannot see because of the base. I'm not losing a large amount of water, but I've never known of a leak of any kind to get smaller. I would like to hear what some of you community gurus would prescribe as a remedy. Thanks in advance for any help.
Also I didn't include recent water analysis because it didn't seem pertinent. Was that a breach of etiquette? Hope not. Thanks!

"Recirculate" bypasses the filter so it would seem that the leak is probably somewhere at the filter. Sooner or later, you are going to have to figure out a way to follow the path of the water and find out where it's coming from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.