Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I keep my solar cover on after adding bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I keep my solar cover on after adding bleach?

Since my first question was answered so quickly, I feel compelled to ask another. I want to start BBB. Do I need to take the solar cover off each night after adding the bleach? If yes, do you usually put it back on after a few hours?

Thanks again, this is a great forum.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Southern MN
    I don't know of a reason to have it off I would leave it on. Shouldn't do any harm.
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    I leave it on, there have been times when I've pushed it back far enough to pour in some bleach by the return. It hurts it none....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Northeastern Ohio
    If you have returns that are at all above your water line, I would recommend pouring bleach near the return stream but not into it.

I did that last year and the section of my solar cover that the return stream was flowing into got nice and brittle.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar if only there was some sun to shine on them!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have experienced the same thing as robrinker. I don't know if it is the chemicals or just ware the return hit the solar blanket now I role back the cover to add acid and use the skimmer for CL. The strange thing the brittle area was gone after I took the cover out of storage this spring.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

6. Back To Top    #6
    Not sure if you have to.. but I always remove my cover before adding any chemicals.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

7. Back To Top    #7

New Hudson, MI
    I just peel back the solar cover, pour the bleach into the return stream (which is beneath the water line in my pool), and then pull the cover back.

I use a thin solar cover and don't expect it to last too many years anyways. The sun will beat it to its death way before the bleach will!

27'x52" AG Vogue Impact, Waterway Cyclone 200 cartridge filter, Waterway pump w/2 HP 2-sp motor, 8mil solar cover, Raypak 206 nat gas heater, Pool Rover Jr.