Lowering TA and raising PH

Mar 18, 2013
A week ago my TA was a bit high at 120 & PH was 7.7. I wanted to lower TA so i added the appropriate MA & TA was then 110 & PH 7. I aerated for a week & PH raised to about 7.2 (didn't increase much). I then added MA tonight according to calculator for PH to 7.0 , but will not test TA again till morning. My issue is the TA should be lower again but it is taking such a long time to get PH to rise with this aeration. Would adding borax raise the PH up but not raise TA up much or will borax just raise TA up also?

When I need to lower my TA I tend to lower my ph to 7.2, still swimmable, and when it climbs up to 7.7, dose again to bring it back down until I reach desired TA. It takes some time, but it's not something that has to be done quickly. When your TA is in check, your ph won't fluctuate as much.

Lizzieann said:
Ok, so basically you are saying i don't need to worry about TA being a little high (100-120) if my PH levels are staying around 7.5. & 7.7 ?
Yep.

High TA is only a real problem if you have high CH as well, because the combination drives the Calcium Saturation Index high, which leads to scaling.

High TA will tend to cause pH to climb rapidly. In which case you just lower it with acid. It's exactly
the same process you're doing with the aeration, just not at a forced rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.