Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering TA and raising PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering TA and raising PH

A week ago my TA was a bit high at 120 & PH was 7.7. I wanted to lower TA so i added the appropriate MA & TA was then 110 & PH 7. I aerated for a week & PH raised to about 7.2 (didn't increase much). I then added MA tonight according to calculator for PH to 7.0 , but will not test TA again till morning. My issue is the TA should be lower again but it is taking such a long time to get PH to rise with this aeration. Would adding borax raise the PH up but not raise TA up much or will borax just raise TA up also?
    Lizzieann,

27x54 AGP with Waterfall, 18,500 gallons, Waterway Sand filter- Waterway 1.5 hp -1 speed pump , TF-100 test kit, BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering TA and raising PH

Why are you on a hurry to lower the TA?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not in a hurry necessarily, just trying to get to my target numbers. I want Ph where it should be for swimming purposes
    Lizzieann,

27x54 AGP with Waterfall, 18,500 gallons, Waterway Sand filter- Waterway 1.5 hp -1 speed pump , TF-100 test kit, BBB method.

4. Back To Top    #4

Fire off the waterfall. That ought to drive pH up in a hurry.

And then just maintain pH using the TA reading to help calculate the acid dose. TA will slowly come down on its own.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so basically you are saying i don't need to worry about TA being a little high (100-120) if my PH levels are staying around 7.5. & 7.7 ?
    Lizzieann,

6. Back To Top    #6

When I need to lower my TA I tend to lower my ph to 7.2, still swimmable, and when it climbs up to 7.7, dose again to bring it back down until I reach desired TA. It takes some time, but it's not something that has to be done quickly. When your TA is in check, your ph won't fluctuate as much.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzieann
    Ok, so basically you are saying i don't need to worry about TA being a little high (100-120) if my PH levels are staying around 7.5. & 7.7 ?
    Yep.

High TA is only a real problem if you have high CH as well, because the combination drives the Calcium Saturation Index high, which leads to scaling.

High TA will tend to cause pH to climb rapidly. In which case you just lower it with acid. It's exactly
    the same process you're doing with the aeration, just not at a forced rate.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!