Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Carpet deck black from mold or mildew...

1. Back To Top    #1

Carpet deck black from mold or mildew...

i have carpet around my pool 1/2 deck. it's all black from the previous owner's neglect, and some of my own neglect. there's also green stuff on the metal railings, etc. i've been cleaning it with a pressure washer, seems to do a pretty good job.

the question is, i'm getting some splash back into the pool (which I think I JUST finished killing all the algae in)... do I need to be concerned with this creating an algae problem in the pool? moving forward, since i have the pressure washer, i will keep it from getting THIS bad.

edit link to photos:
    http://imgur.com/a/PsNpu#0
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Carpet deck black from mold or mildew...

I think I would just increase my chlorine levels to break down the debris while the filter has a chance to pick it up. Might not be necessary, but I'd rather play prevention than have to shock it later.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

You can scrub down the carpet with 20MTBorax and a deck broom. If you can keep the solution out of the pool, add an equal portion of Oxiclean. If possible, do it when it's shady. Let it sit for up to 15 minutes, but do not let it dry out.

Mix 1/2 cup of each (Oxiclean and 20MTBorax) into 1 gallon of hot water to clean about 100 square feet easily. Rinse, directing dirty water and cleaners away from the pool, several times.

Just remember, Oxiclean neutralizes chlorine, so check your chlorine levels after you're done.

I wouldn't recommend using bleach as it might eat your carpet along with the mold and mildew....
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks - i am afraid of using anything too close to the pool, i had enough trouble trying to keep the pressure washer's run off from coming back into the pool. I just don't know if i can successfully get rid of the mold/mildew without any chemicals.

it's so dingy that i can't see it being an easy task. it was actually a bit of contention when buying the house. and my agent assured me it'll pressure wash right out (which technically seems accurate).
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

5. Back To Top    #5

ArmedM,
    Got access to a wet/dry shop vac?

Pour on (or spray on) and then broom in the wet cleaning mixture, let sit just a bit, and suck it out with the shop vac.
    Rinse with clean water and suck it again. That might avoid getting anything into the pool.

It should clean the carpet and kill the organics, too.

Then empty, and rinse out the shop vac with some chlorine and water.
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

6. Back To Top    #6

i don't have access to a shop vac (that's on the list of need to buy, just haven't gotten one yet). wife seems insistent on just use the pressure washer bit. the section that I tried it on looks great.

This is what i'm dealing with:
    http://imgur.com/a/PsNpu#0

7. Back To Top    #7

Agreed. Looks like normal outdoor crud.
    No fun, I know. Get your wife to supervise, and spray her occasionally.
    Her what?
    Her occasionally!
    Good luck.

8. Back To Top    #8

update - the AFTER... yes, i missed a few spots... and didn't get to finish. used three tankfuls of gas. i think to get cleaner, i need detergent. this was all fresh water, not bad.

http://imgur.com/a/5zABr#1

ignore gas can on deck. had to put it somewhere kids can't reach. it's gone now.