Just joined and wanted to say hello

JamesT

Jun 21, 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
Hello, just wanted to say hi and here is my story....sorry it so long but I got started typing and just couldn't stop.

Intex 15 x 48 purchased May 2006

Purchased this pool from Sam’s Club

Brought pool home and immediately begin the set up process on a spot that I thought was close to level. Didn’t bother checking with a water level or surveyors level and I have both that I could have used.

About half way up on the first fill up I could see this wasn’t going to work. Took pool completely down and begin the back breaking task of digging out the high side. Wife and I worked on this for about 3 days straight and then reset the pool.

Wouldn’t you know it was still about a 1” out on the low side. Decided to just leave it and hope for the best. This will be the Eight season and it’s held so far. The upright next to the drain spout did sink this year due to drain plug leaking as I was letting water out for the winter but I was able to jack that leg up and get a brick under it which did the trick and is holding.

1st season ended in total goose pond green and was never able to correct the situation even after spending a lot of money on chemicals. Gave up around the first of August and decided to try again the next year.

2nd season made it to about the middle of July and gave up again.

3rd season purchased an Intex salt water generator and replaced the small 1000 gph pump with a 2500 gph pump. The new pump used 1 ½” hose connectors so I had to order adapters to make everything work. The good news is it did work and this was the first time we were able to use the pool all summer long.

4th season I removed the small hose connections and cut the holes in the side wall just enough to replace them with the 1 ½ hose connectors. Problem with this is I was not able to use the over the rail skimmer but with a lot of hand skimming and a good bottom vacuum ever day or so things went fairly smooth. I continued with this set up for the 5th through 7th swimming season.

This will be the eight year for this pool and I’m wondering if it might not be time to replace it with a new one next year. But for this year I plan to plum in a through the wall skimmer thanks to the information I have gotten from this site and all the great pictures.

Welcome to the forum.

I have an intex that I added a through the wall skimmer to last year. I run a 3/4 hp pump with a 100 lb sand filter. Keeps it circulated well. Much better than the stock pump and filter.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using the free app: Tapatalk 4 Beta.

Thanks for the reply. I just got a new Intex sand pump I beleive they call it a 1600 and have had it running now for a couple of days. It seems to be doing a great job.

I'll post some pictures of my set up as I progress and as soon as I figure out how to post pictures

Welcome to TFP! Good luck this year!

Have you ordered a test kit? The TF-100 is pretty awesome! :mrgreen: