Thread: Salt test and misc questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt test and misc questions

Bartlett, tn

FC 1.5
    CC .5
    TC 2 (added bleach per pool calculator)

Ph dropped to somewhere between 7.0 and 7.2
    TA 70 (added 1 box 20 mule team borax... Considering borate pool but as of right now 0 borates and can only handle so much at a time)

CH 280
    CYA 45

It only took less than a week to go from green to sparkling clear thanks to what I've read in here. Swg was installed yesterday

I ordered the salt test (reagents not strips) when I ordered the fas/dpd test from Taylor

Used it today after they left

The drops looked like clumps of silver and I had to stir it with a straw in order for the solution to mix. My results were different than theirs... It looks like there are now 4000 ppm of salt in my water but my teenagers and I all question whether my new test kit is accurate or not

Any advice on how to use this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thx very much
    28,000 gal gunite, triton II sand filter
    Brand new pentair swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt test and misc questions

In short is the silver reagent supposed to clump?

28,000 gal gunite, triton II sand filter
    Brand new pentair swg

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Salt test and misc questions

It's easy to take the endpoint too far with this test. I guess you watched the Taylor video, but I encourage to watch it again and try to follow their advice on the endpoint. Unfortunately, these tests sometimes do clump at the end but taking it too far makes it worse. Of all the tests I've ever run, the endpoint on this one is the trickiest. As a side note, Silver Nitrate will stain your hands and other things, so it's best to keep it neat and tidy as possible when handling it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr