First test for new pool and new owner....Help!

Coop19

Jun 18, 2013
Decatur, tx
Hi guys, been trying to learn all I can from this site....lots of great info on here! I have a new pool, and just got my test kit in today. I'm not sure of the order of what needs to be addressed first, so here goes:
FC 2
CC 3.5
TA 410
CH 420
PH 7.8
CYA I assume 0, dot never disappeared
Pebble pool, water is clear and looks pretty good. I have had to add some acid to lower ph, and some pucks for chlorine. Filled out of my well, and as you can see our water here is pretty hard.
I know I need to get some cya in it....What else to I need to do now?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Take a sample of pool water and have it tested for iron. If it is positive you will need to add sequestrant to the water. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Follow the instruction on the bottle for the sequestrant. Your CC level indicates a need to complete the shock process on your pool. I would double check the FC and CC results just to be sure since you are just learning how to use the kit. Before starting the shock process drop the pH to 7.2, raise the CYA to 30ppm and use the Pool calculator to determine shock level for your pool. Read the shock process for more information.

If you plan on using the SWG check the salt level and adjust as needed.

Thanks for the reply! We absolutely have iron in the water here, I'll check in to sequestrant. And you're probably dead-on about me retesting....I thought that CC number was kind of odd! It will still be a couple of weeks before I can use the SWG, so I haven't worried about the salt level yet. Thank you so much for your help, this forum is great!!

We absolutely have iron in the water here, I'll check in to sequestrant
Don't delay. Iron in a pool can be a huge nightmare that will haunt you and never go away if you don't address it.

Especially with your VERY high TA, you are a prime candidate for iron staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.