Day 3 of shocking

Jun 13, 2013
Central VA
I have finished day three of trying to keep my pool at shock level to clear it up. It wasn't green when I started but was cloudy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end but not all the way down at the deep (9.5 ft). I have been brushing every day too and have found some dead leaves down there that I couldn't even see. I have also vacuumed once and got up all the settled debris I could see. It is definitely looking better but not crystal clear. My CYA was low when I started this process so I did add some Tuesday before I started shocking on Wednesday. I am just wondering if I should retest my CYA level to make sure I am raising to the correct shock level. I know from what I read it could take a week to get an accurate reading but I am wondering if maybe I am not getting it high enough if the CYA level is higher or I am just being impatient and it's going to take more than 3 days to get my pool clear.

What was your starting CYA? How much did you add?
At this point it may not show up on the test, so just assume it raised to the level you expected and use that to get your FC shock level.

Sand filters are slow. If you have no CC and have passed the OCLT and just waiting for the cloudiness to clear, you could try some DE in the filter (see Pool School).

But, 3 days is pretty short, so you may just need some POP.

You should assume the CYA you added is currently active and use that target number to determine shock level. Having organic debris in the pool does slow down the process. Keep vacuuming until you are sure all the debris are gone, and keep the pool at shock level as often as possible. Keep in mind it takes a little time for all the dead algae to filter out, so it is time to open up a little POP (pool owner patience :) ) and hang in there! Once you are passing the overnight test you can add a little DE to the filter to help catch finer particles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.