Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Day 3 of shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Central VA

Day 3 of shocking

I have finished day three of trying to keep my pool at shock level to clear it up. It wasn't green when I started but was cloudy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end but not all the way down at the deep (9.5 ft). I have been brushing every day too and have found some dead leaves down there that I couldn't even see. I have also vacuumed once and got up all the settled debris I could see. It is definitely looking better but not crystal clear. My CYA was low when I started this process so I did add some Tuesday before I started shocking on Wednesday. I am just wondering if I should retest my CYA level to make sure I am raising to the correct shock level. I know from what I read it could take a week to get an accurate reading but I am wondering if maybe I am not getting it high enough if the CYA level is higher or I am just being impatient and it's going to take more than 3 days to get my pool clear.
    25k gallon IG Vinyl
    Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Day 3 of shocking

Use the EFfects of Adding Chemicals in to see what the CYA you added should have done to a pool your size. Then just assume it's all there and set the shock level accordingly.

How are you doing on CC?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

What was your starting CYA? How much did you add?
    At this point it may not show up on the test, so just assume it raised to the level you expected and use that to get your FC shock level.

Sand filters are slow. If you have no CC and have passed the OCLT and just waiting for the cloudiness to clear, you could try some DE in the filter (see Pool School).

But, 3 days is pretty short, so you may just need some POP.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

You should assume the CYA you added is currently active and use that target number to determine shock level. Having organic debris in the pool does slow down the process. Keep vacuuming until you are sure all the debris are gone, and keep the pool at shock level as often as possible. Keep in mind it takes a little time for all the dead algae to filter out, so it is time to open up a little POP (pool owner patience ) and hang in there! Once you are passing the overnight test you can add a little DE to the filter to help catch finer particles.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!