Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Pool Store Guy

1. Back To Top    #1

The Pool Store Guy

I think it's official. The guy at the pool store thinks I'm totally nuts.

Last weekend it was because I wanted enough stabilizer to raise my CYA to SWG levels. Today it was because I wanted a Fas-DPD test that went to "at least 11" [cue up Spinal Tap reference here].

Looks like I'll be waiting for my online order from TFP to come in. Now that taking care of my pool is fun, I HATE having to wait!

The look I got today said it all.
    12000 Gallon Freeform Pool
    SWG
    Jandy AquaPure 1400
    Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + FAS/DPD Chlorine Tester and Swirler from TFP.com
    Tree covered lot - cottonwoods and crepe myrtles. Great shade during the summer, miserable fall cleaning leaves from the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Pool Store Guy

Don't worry soon enough you will be convinced he is the one that is nuts
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Not to worry, I'm a newbie because I think the guy at the pool store(s) is totally nuts.
    23K gal IG vinyl, 22" Hayward sand filter, mod#S220T (flow rate 20 GPM), 1hp UtiliTech pump (2 speed I think) mod#QIP100. Using LaMotte ColorQ 2056 Pro 7 for water analysis. Pool was installed 07/1997.

4. Back To Top    #4

The one and only time I went to a pool store
    I had the feeling that they thought I was and Idiot for doing my own testing
    Well after spending around 80 bucks far a test kit and about 40 to 50 bucks in chlorine to clear up my green pool
    I feel like I saved a million dollars
    Best place I could of found is right here Before I got pool Stored
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

Meh, I've got a good pool store guy. He's the owner and does mainly commercial installs and maintenance. Went to inquire about SWG today and talked chemistry for a few minutes. Told him I'm using pucks - he immediately said "watch your CYA and make sure you keep your TA up and watch pH, but you already know this right?" Told me of a customer who came in and CYA was 250+, he told her to drain or nothing else was going to help. She left a little miffed but we both kinda nodded our head in a "yeah, she's done, nothing you can do" kinda way.

He then asked - what's you TA? 120 I say. Perfect he says, bet you can drink your water.

Moral of the story is there are GOOD ones out there. I give him whatever business I can including repairs, only chemicals I buy are reagents and polyquat/antifreeze to close. Charges 125 bucks to close my pool completely. Money well spent.

Oh, and quick shout out to Louisville Water Company. We won best tasting water in the nation YET AGAIN!
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Spidey... You're one of the lucky ones that has a pool store owner that they can talk chemistry with and feel like your not nutso.

I don't understand how these places can through all these chemicals at people and not expect to hurt anyone who might be swimming in the pools with who knows what kinds of levels when they are done! I'm surprised you don't see lawsuits for people whose children who have been burned, etc due to bad advice from a pool store. I think I would want to be thoroughly educated if I was an owner!

We've only bought a few repair supplies at pool stores and I've only overheard conversations with other customers... glad they weren't me. I could just about hear the $$draining from their wallets.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by spidey07
    Meh, I've got a good pool store guy. He's the owner and does mainly commercial installs and maintenance. Went to inquire about SWG today and talked chemistry for a few minutes. Told him I'm using pucks - he immediately said "watch your CYA and make sure you keep your TA up and watch pH, but you already know this right?" Told me of a customer who came in and CYA was 250+, he told her to drain or nothing else was going to help. She left a little miffed but we both kinda nodded our head in a "yeah, she's done, nothing you can do" kinda way.

He then asked - what's you TA? 120 I say. Perfect he says, bet you can drink your water.

Moral of the story is there are GOOD ones out there. I give him whatever business I can including repairs, only chemicals I buy are reagents and polyquat/antifreeze to close. Charges 125 bucks to close my pool completely. Money well spent.

Oh, and quick shout out to Louisville Water Company. We won best tasting water in the nation YET AGAIN!

$125 to close?!

I pay $325! Ugh!
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.