Thread: first time adding bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

first time adding bleach

TC/FC 1.04,
    pH 7.4
    TA 125
    CH 131
    CYA 80

My pool was off about a day and a half for repairs. I'm guessing that may be the reason the chlorine dropped off. I intend to use bleach for the first time instead of shocking. The calculator calls for 3 gallons. How do I administer it? Deep end? Around the perimeter? Also, does the filter need to be filtering or recirculating while I'm adding the bleach? If recirculating bypasses the filter wouldn't it raise my FC level quicker?
    I fired the pool guy and I'm determined to take on his job, but I have a lot to learn. This is my first post. Any and all insight/information will be greatly appreciated.
    23K gal IG vinyl, 22" Hayward sand filter, mod#S220T (flow rate 20 GPM), 1hp UtiliTech pump (2 speed I think) mod#QIP100. Using LaMotte ColorQ 2056 Pro 7 for water analysis. Pool was installed 07/1997.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first time adding bleach

Pour bleach slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running. Some people like to float the jug on the water and pour that way, at least for the first third of the jug when it is very heavy.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: first time adding bleach

Many thanks JL
    23K gal IG vinyl, 22" Hayward sand filter, mod#S220T (flow rate 20 GPM), 1hp UtiliTech pump (2 speed I think) mod#QIP100. Using LaMotte ColorQ 2056 Pro 7 for water analysis. Pool was installed 07/1997.