Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Iron Stain Story

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Iron Stain Story

Another iron stain story.
    This year, when the pool cover was removed, I discovered six Pennsylvania field stones, that I use for garden edging, at the bottom of the pool(granddaughters confessed). Got the stones out and got everything running but I noticed the tea stains on the walls and bottom of the pool. Never having this occur in the past 20 years I thought it would go away but it didn't(evidently iron leeched out of the field stones and attached itself to the liner). I found the posts here on correcting the situation and have all the chemicals needed for the AA treatment. My questions are 1.) the Algaecide 60 recommends 2-4 ozs. weekly, is this sufficient while the chlorine is absent/low. 2.) Any guess on when the choline will be low enough to start treatment.

FC 4.25
    CC .5
    Ph 7.4
    TH 110
    CYA 50
    Water temp 83

Thanks
    Hayward Power Flo LX pump and Vari-Flo sand filter. 18' X 52" agp. 8000 gals. Takoma Park, MD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Iron Stain Story

Welcome to TFP

Quote Originally Posted by takpak65
    1.) the Algaecide 60 recommends 2-4 ozs. weekly, is this sufficient while the chlorine is absent/low.
    Yes. If those are the directions on the bottle, I would follow those. Just to be clear, make sure the "Algaecide 60" is Polyquat 60. Polyquat is the trade name and should be prominently labeled on the bottle. The active ingredient is: poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. Look for a 60% concentration of that ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by takpak65
    2.) Any guess on when the choline will be low enough to start treatment.
    Every pool is different, but it shouldn't be more than a couple of days or so, especially at this time of year. Test FC to be sure. Also, don't forget to lower pH down to 7.2 before starting the AA treatment.

BTW, just to make sure you have it, here is the full article on the Ascorbic Acid Treatment.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.