Newbie here....PLEASE HELP!!!

Jun 21, 2013
New pool owner here of an intex 18"x4' above ground pool with salt water system. After lots of research I have decided that we may have mustard algae. I am basing this on the following: what looks like brown dirt settles in bottom of pool (scattered all over)...when I try to vacuum it up it just kinda disappears, also.....when I check my filter it is covered in a brown/mustardy looking slimy substance. Originally, I had thought maybe this was pollen but because it is slimy I'm thinking algae. PLEASE tell me how to go about getting rid of this. Please remember I'm new to this so can you please be specific. Thank you!

First a question about the stuff from your filter. When you scrape a small amount off of the filter, and smear it on a white card (3x5 etc) what do you see?

Now, What can you tell us about your pool? From your post, we would know it will hold around 7200 gallons. What kind of filter do you have?

Do you do your own water testing? If yes, what do you use, and what are the results?

We would need some sort of base information from you before we would be able to help.

So, WELCOME to TFP!

I think you will find a large community of helpful knowledgeable people here.

First a question about the stuff from your filter. When you scrape a small amount off of the filter, and smear it on a white card (3x5 etc) what do you see?
I will do this later and get back to you. I just cleaned it so need to let it build up again.

Now, What can you tell us about your pool? From your post, we would know it will hold around 7200 gallons. What kind of filter do you have?
The cartridge filters (type A) that go in the pump that came with the pool. I also use the intex salt water system.

Do you do your own water testing? If yes, what do you use, and what are the results?
Yes, I have taken a sample once to a pool shop though. Basically, everything was fine except I had phosphates. I have used the phosphate remover though. I should also add that I recently had to drain some of my water and add new to get rid of copper. My daughter and I don't look so great with a green tint to our hair :| At this time my chlorine is a little low but has always been fine before. The brown stuff I am talking about was there before I had to drain some of the pool.

Ok, That's a start. Type A carts tell me that you probably have a round tower looking all in one filter pump, probably the Intex/Krystal clear model 637. Soon you will want to upgrade that to one of the sand filters or larger cart filters. But for now, I think we can work with that.

I'll tell you that pool store testing can't be trusted. Most pol store employees, don't know enough about the kits or equipment to give you accurate results. Add to this the fact that unless the sample is taken and stored/transported properly, the results get skewed in as little as 1/2 hour.

At this point, I am going to make several suggestions.

First, that you order a quality test kit, and learn how to use it. I can assure you from personal experience this will be money well spent. You can go to tftestkits.net or Amazon.com and order the Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 (from tftestkits) Hint: best bang for the buck with the TF-100.

Next, You will need to read Pool School paying special attention to the algae and shock process sections. There you will learn how to eradicate the algae, and keep it from coming back.

After that, we can help you get started in removing the problems you are having with your pool.

I feel like such an idiot when it comes to taking care of a pool!
After reading the section you suggested it sounds like I need to shock the pool. I have never done this but read how. How much bleach do I need to add? That's what I can't figure out. I really want to do this tomorrow.

Welcome. You need a good test kit to be able to read shock levels and pass a OCLT. We all ( you included) must know your CYA level to get you to the appropiate shock levels. Test readings of "good" and "fine" don't count. It's very important that you get a reliable test kit so this won't continue to burden you.

Also, re-reading Pool School helps the info stick. :goodjob:

I just tested my water but it's just with test strips.

TH- 0
TC- 1
FC/BROMINE- 1/2
PH- 7.2
TA- 120
STABILIZER- 0 (I've added this a few different times tied to the side in a hose but can never get a reading)

Does this help?

Even with test strips, it will take 4-7 days for the CYA to show up when testing.

Do order the test kit as soon as you possibly can. None of us are trying to "make a sale". We get nothing for this, except the satisfaction of seeing another pool owner learn to care for and have lots more time to enjoy their pool.

The $$ spent on the kit, whether bought from amazon, tftestkits or wherever, will be money well spent. Think of it as a tool to help you keep your pool functioning as good as it possibly can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.