Is 'shocking' adding a high amt of bleach?

I will be a bbb converter after this weekend :)
I apologize for even asking this ( I have read the bbb forum over and over) but, if I get and keep my chlorine (from general liquid bleach) at the recommended level, then do I ever "shock" the pool?? If so, then.....
When "shocking" what do I use? I think I would just dose up the chlorine higher than the normal amount on the pool calculator, or do I buy an item from pool store labeled "shock"?

33'round x 54'' ABG,

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking is raising your chlorine to a prescribed level and holding it there constantly until whatever problem created the need to shock is gone. You can raise the chlorine level by whatever method you choose. If you maintain good levels normally, it's not common to need to shock the pool.

Check out pool-school/shocking_your_pool

[center:3ok4srsg]
how-to-shock-the-pool.jpg

Shock level is a point where you're killing off the lgae considerably faster than it can reproduce.
What level that is, is determined by the CYA (stabilizer) level.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock[/center:3ok4srsg]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.