Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is 'shocking' adding a high amt of bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Piedmont, Oklahoma

Is 'shocking' adding a high amt of bleach?

I will be a bbb converter after this weekend
    I apologize for even asking this ( I have read the bbb forum over and over) but, if I get and keep my chlorine (from general liquid bleach) at the recommended level, then do I ever "shock" the pool?? If so, then.....
    When "shocking" what do I use? I think I would just dose up the chlorine higher than the normal amount on the pool calculator, or do I buy an item from pool store labeled "shock"?

33'round x 54'' ABG,
    33 ft round 28,800 gallons-Vinyl liner-AGP-buried with concrete deck around it. 2hp -single speed-hi-flo pump with sand filter. On acreage-no trees but gathers lots of dust and grass etc. BBB only way for me !! So happy for TFP site!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Is 'shocking' adding a high amt of bleach?

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking is raising your chlorine to a prescribed level and holding it there constantly until whatever problem created the need to shock is gone. You can raise the chlorine level by whatever method you choose. If you maintain good levels normally, it's not common to need to shock the pool.

Check out pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

You only need to shock when you have a problem. Otherwise, just enjoy your pool!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Shock level is a point where you're killing off the lgae considerably faster than it can reproduce.
    What level that is, is determined by the CYA (stabilizer) level.[/center:3ok4srsg]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

SW Ohio

2 years running with the BBB method and never shocked the pool, but I am diligent with my testing same time every evening my wife knows where to find me.....pool side with my trusty test kit.......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

6. Back To Top    #6

No question is a dumb question! Glad you asked....
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

7. Back To Top    #7

Southern PA

Glad you posted this because I was getting ready to basically ask the same question!
    Thanks Tanya
    Intex Easy Set Pool 10'x30" Appx: 850 gallons Filter: 530 Gallon Cartridge Filter Pump
    Using BBB method
    HTC 6way Kit