Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back again with numbers.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Back again with numbers.....

I got my pH up to where it belongs and I went to the pool store to get a free water test:

FC .93
    pH 7.1
    Hardness 5
    TA 18
    CYA 20

They want me to add 50lbs of calcium. Apparently it can cloud the water and not very fun to pre dissolve.....????? The "school" says to sprinkle it in the deep end????

They also want me to add stabilizer. I think that it is ok

I did however add baking soda.
    Thanks a bunch....!!

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW MO

Re: Back again with numbers.....

You have a vinyl pool and don't need CH at all, too much can cause scaling though and the only way to remove it is to replace water. I wouldn't trust the pool store testing, especially the CYA. If it's right you could use more CYA but again the only way to remove it is to replace water. You ought to get one of the recommend test kits in pool school and test your own water.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

You don't need Calcium in a vinyl pool. Buying hardness increaser is just money wasted. Spend that money on something useful - your own test kit!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    North Georgia

2. Add enough CYA in your pool to get to 60 ppm.

3. Add enough liquid chlorine into your pool to get to about 4-6ppm and then keep it there until you bring your SWG online.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, adjust your chemistry one parameter at a time. dichlor seems counterproductive in a pool with pH too low.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing