AZ mountains, want to buy an AGP

Jun 20, 2013
Prescott, AZ
HI, we just bought our first home that isn't an apartment and can finally have our own pool. Our backyard is a granit slope here in the mountains of AZ. We just finished having an area terraced and flattened. It can fit an 21' AGP now. We had IG pool guys out here and they just told us blasting granite was going to cost us BIG, so we decided to go with the AGP and see how it goes. We have two children, 7 yrs and 1 yr, so we are doing this a lot for them and just to get some relief from the dryness out here.

By reading this forum, I've realized I didn't even know how much I didn't know:) Glad I found this place and didn't make any costly ignorant mistakes!

We have been speaking to a couple of different wooden pools dealers, as we like the look of the wood sided pools and so far Crestwood Pools is the one we like best. The owner had been really helpful so far in speaking to our landscaper as to what first stage concerns need to be addressed.
http://www.crestwoodpools.com/gallery.html

The problem is that I have hardly found any independent review of this pool and it is quiet costly!

I only found one post on this forum regarding these pools: Wood Wall AGP vs. Steel/Aluminum Wall AGP
and in this post the person had yet to purchase/install the pool.

Has anyone heard of this company? or have any info that would help?

Thanks,

I have not heard of them but I would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your family here at TFP! Hope you enjoy the site! :wave:

Did you make a decision on your pool? I am looking at a Crestwood also. I just want something to cool off and like the idea of a 15' round pool that looks like an oversized hot tub in the yard. As much as I'd like to have an IG like most of my neighbors, the $30K+ price tag is too much. Although Crestwood pools are more expensive than steel AGs, they are still just a drop on the bucket compared to an IG with concrete patio and fencing. I like the idea of have some riverstone around the pool with no extra costs for fencing and decking. On the plus side, as a DIYer, I can install the pool myself.

WEll, we decided it was just adding up to too much $$ at the moment. It was up to 12,000 and i had to have an installer, and Rich at Crestwood pools figured it would be at least $2,000 for install. And I hadn't even gotten to deck or how we were going to actually get in the pool!

So, if you decide to do it let me know as I may still consider it for a different year, but I had just put over $10,000 into leveling a granite backyard and putting up rock walls. That almost came to the inground pool quote I had.

So this is what i did temporarily to test the AGP idea:

We bought a 16' ft intex ultraframe at target, put it up ourselves with the ideas on this forum, with insulation on the bottom and the pavers for the supports to sit on. Then we bought some reed fencing at HD and some black plastic ties. We cut the roll-out fence to just under the coping on the pool and put it up with the ties. The we just scavenged the yard for all the left over rock from the rock wall and the original granite in the yard and put it around the pool bottom so the insulation and pavers are totally hidden by the rocks. It actually looks pretty good for less than $1000 total!

WE kept almost all of the materials in the yard alike as not to add too many different things and get a hodgepodge, but the side of the pool is the only reed fencing we have.

I wish I knew how to post a pic but sometimes I just have a challenge figuring out how to use the forum!

anyway, let me know what you decide.

btw, Rich, the Crestwood Pool dealer, did give me the name and # of someone who was willing to verify that the pool held up to the AZ extreme weather. The guy had had his pool for something like 15 years and was still using it, so I did sound like a good investment if you think of it that way.

Best of luck

I went to my local dealer yesterday since they had a display model of an 18' Crestwood pool outside. I've got to say, I was impressed. It was over 20 years old and other than some checking of the wood, it was in very good shape. They pressure washed and stained it for the summer season. I forgot to take a picture.

The sales rep told me the manufacturer of the pool is located about an hour or so north of me right along he PA/NY border and is/was part owner of the facility I was at. She indicated they have customers with 20+ year old Crestwoods come back every summer for new liners, chemicals, etc.; however, their pools are still in good shape.

I think the key is the base for the pool. They give you 2 options; install a concrete block "footer" that only needs to be 4" thick, around the base where the wood walls will be located. This allows the pool to sit on a level footing an keeps the sand from washing out from under the pool over time. The other option was the setup they had at the outdoor showroom. They merely had a 2' wide sidewalk, 4" thick, poured into a circle with the center open to place the sand. The concrete was an inch or two above the ground surface with a slight slope away from the center of the circle. This prevented any rain or splash water from ponding along the base of the wood walls. Basically, they poured a 2' wide concrete ring with the center of the ring matching the dimension of the pool.

The sales rep told me this is definitely a DIY pool installation. The manufacturer gives very easy installation directions that can easily be completely by only 2 people in an afternoon. They have had many customers install the pool themselves.

When I added the filter, vacuum system, ladder, chlorinator, winter cover, I'm at about $6K for a 12' diameter pool. Every 3 feet of increased diameter increases the cost by about $1K for everything (12' = $6K; 15' = $7K, 18' = $9K,...). If I subtract their cost for the filter system, vacuum kit, and chlorinator, I can save about $1,300. I didn't even start doing research yet, so I am not sure what I will do as far as equipment.

They offered an install rate of an extra 17% for a complete concrete block installation or 27% for a poured concrete footer installation. I anticipate it will cost me an extra 4% for materials for me to install the concrete block and sand; or 10% for me to pour a concrete footer and fill the center with sand.

I was told they really don't increase their prices much every year and have no "year end sale event on Crestwoods" so I'm leaning toward a late spring purchase. I just have to decide the size.