Debris by-passing the sand filter

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I installed 1 micron bag filters in place of the return eye balls to act as final or clean up filters, and they have been collecting some large debris that should not get though the sand filter. The stuff consists whole ant bodies, leaf fragments, and similar light weight material that floats. All of it is too large to pass though a sand filter and I think even if the filter were channeling it would be too large to pass the screens.

The only explanation I can come up with is the material is short circuiting the sand bed by passing though the space between the internal riser pipe and the slip fitting on the multi-port valve. If the riser was cracked or had a hole I would expect to see sand in the filters, but I don't see any.

I intend to take the multi-port valve off and inspect the inside of the filter, valve, and riser to see if there are any obvious problems. It occurs to me that maybe placing an O-ring around the riser to make a tighter fit between the pipe and the valve might cure the problem if that is the cause.

Has anyone encountered a by-passing problem before, or had any problem with a loose fit between the riser and the valve?

Edit: Here is a picture of the inside of one of the bags. It was in service about 12 hours. I normally leave them in for about two weeks and after that time they have a lot of "stuff" inside that should not be there.

Attachments

• bag inside.jpg
    bag inside.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 77
I was having the same problem you are decribing along will less than normal flow coming out of my return but normal sandfilter pressure per guage so I decided to take my sand filter apart and it was packed full of debri such as leaves bugs which had been getting past my skimmer baskets and through the pump into the filter. The debri was both on top of my sand and also in my valve assembly of the filter. Mine has a plastic piece with just some slots in the valve assembley which was packed kind of another filter basket. I immediatedly decided to get me a filter bag to go inside my skimmer basket to catch the larger stuff that was getting through. I am using a 1 gallon paint strainer bag from lowes to catch mine in. I see you made your own 1 micron bag that you are catching it after the return so maybe you should make one to catch it before it gets to your sand filter and try cleaning your sand filter for me backwashing barely made a difference and only for a very short run afterwards. I would of only taken the top off my sand filter which is the valve assembley I am talking about and stuck a hose into the sand and flushed out all the debri but unfortunately when I tried to remove my stand pipe that the valve assembley attaches to that goes to the bottom of your sand filter stayed attached and lifted up off the bottom which caused me to have to remove all my sand and reinsert in the filter and then put the sand back in.

I usually take the filter apart for cleaning and inspection once per year, and will do that tomorrow. I don't have a problem with the flow rate. It's just the debris getting through the filter.

I was really trying to find out if anyone had tried improving the seal between the riser (upflow pipe in the center of the filter) and the multi-port valve. The valve itself has a loose fitting female cap that slips over the riser and there are no O-rings to give even a half way seal between the two. I'm thinking about trying to find a thin 1-½" O-ring to put on top on the riser that will seal off when the valve is set down.

Guys- same problem here but I'm doing less to prevent the problem that you two. I have bought two pools and this house is my third, so I know just enough to be dangerous. I bought I used pump and sand filter for this pool when I moved in last august. I don't think I'll be here that long or I would just through the pool in the trash and go 30' round!

I see bugs in the return port if I'm saying that correctly. So evidently bugs are being sprayed out . I took the sand filter top off and looked and there was a mess of bugs floating at the top but no noticeable debris at the top of the sand. Shouldn't the bugs be sucked into the sand??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.