Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time?

Ok, so having put in for a new VS pump, I wanted to get some idea of how best to run this. I'm sure that there was a thread somewhere of for how best to run a VS pool pump during any given 24hrs, but cannot find it...

my thinking is to run it as slow as possible within the perimeters of keeping the pool clean but;

How often should the pool water be turned over in it's entirety in 24hrs? I realise that if the pool is heavily used on a sunny day then this will vary, but then I will just speed things up. I just need to find a base point.

Do I need to run the pump on "fast" for an hour or so to clear surface muck in any given cycle?

I realise that there is a balancing act to work out, especially with regards to the Pool Pilot, but need to start somewhere...

thanks for any help,
    SWG - Exterior
    12x5M
    90,000 Ltrs /24,000US gallons
    Pool Pilot Digital
    Hayward Max Flo VS
    Polaris 280
    Vinyl liner
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump run time?

When in doubt, check pool school: pool-school/pump_run_time

But in short there is no one size fits all answer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Every pool is different. Rule of thumb is one turnover per day. VS pumps usually have a most efficient speed, and that's what you should use unless you need more flow to run a cleaner or water features.

Search
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Rule of thumb is one turnover per day.
    That is somewhat outdated and not really a good indicator of run time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    When in doubt, check pool school: pool-school/pump_run_time
    That's what I was looking for! Thanks.
    SWG - Exterior
    12x5M
    90,000 Ltrs /24,000US gallons
    Pool Pilot Digital
    Hayward Max Flo VS
    Polaris 280
    Vinyl liner