Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do phosphates get in the pool water ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do phosphates get in the pool water ?

How do phosphates get in the pool water ?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do phosphates get in the pool water ?

Fertilizer getting spread in and plant debris are the primary sources.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess dead leaves are my source, because there is no fertilizer being used near by.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dumping a box of TSP into the pool?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

A lot of time the water company puts it in there.

http://toxics.supportportal.com/link/po ... phosphates
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just tested our tap water. It has about 200 ppb phosphates, so that is where a lot of it is coming from. When I first tested the pool water it was about 400 ppb. I guess the extra came from leaves. Now that I have gotten it near 0 it should be pretty easy to keep it there. I am using PhosFree.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

7. Back To Top    #7

May I ask why you are so concerned about phosphates? For the most part, if you keep your chlorine levels in the recommended range for your CYA, phosphates don't matter.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

It hasn't been working for the recurrent mustard algae. A friend who services pools around here says the phosphate thing has been working for him.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TomAtlanta
    A friend who services pools around here says the phosphate thing has been working for him.
    He doesn't know any better.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Phosphate removers should be seen in the same vein as algaecides such as copper ions or Polyquat 60. It's not that it does not work to at least slow down algae growth. It's that it normally isn't necessary if the proper FC/CYA ratio is maintained, at least for green and black algae. For yellow/mustard algae, a higher FC/CYA level is needed to inhibit that algae so normally people try and completely eradicate it instead by getting into the shady places it likes to hide (light niches, under removable ladders, inside brush/net poles, etc.).

Also, some of these algaecide products have side effects -- copper can stain plaster pools, for example, and turn blond hair greenish. Phosphate removers can be expensive if there are a lot of phosphates to remove and they only remove orthophosphates, not organic phosphates, so if chlorine gets to zero one can still get algae growth if bacteria convert some organic phosphates to orthophosphate. That's why the only algaecide we recommend is Polyquat 60 (50 ppm Borates are also a mild algaecide, but we don't talk about that kind of use since it's rather mild) and even then only under unusual circumstances or when the chlorine level is known to get too low such as during the ascorbic acid metal stain removal treatment.

Tom, are you referring to your algae that seems to come back and might be yellow/mustard that you describe in the thread My battle with algae? You aren't talking about the pollen you describe in the thread Keeping water clear when there is heavy pollen, are you? It sounded like your pool has poor bottom circulation so without fixing that then some additional assistance is needed. It sounds like you experimented with copper algaecide, but did you ever try the Polyquat 60? At least that would not have potential side effects, though it does need to be added weekly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"