Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TFP

Hello All,
    First I would like to say that this site is great! Just bought a FT-100 and ran some tests listed below. I live in IL and have my pool drained/power washed and acid washed before filling every spring.

FC-4.5
    CC=0
    TA=210
    CYA=55 ( Not sure how accurate..added 6lbs of CYA to the newly filled pool, 25k gallons)
    CH=260
    PH=7.5

I started on lowering the TA by reducing the PH to 7.2 and then waiting for it to rise by the water aeration. I just read this article http://www.poolspanews.com/bond-financi ... watch.aspx that states to subtract 30% of the CYA value from the TA value. Is this true? I haven't seen that stated on this site since I have been reviewing the forums.

Thanks!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to TFP

We always use the TA value directly from the test kit and never use the adjusted TA value. The only reason to ever use the adjusted value is when calculating LSI, which has be superseded by CSI which uses TA directly, so really no reason to ever make the TA adjustment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. How much total muriatic acid over time do I need to add to bring my TA down from 210? Our tap water out of lake Michagan evendently has high TA.

Thanks
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75
    Thank you for the reply. How much total muriatic acid over time do I need to add to bring my TA down from 210? Our tap water out of lake Michagan evendently has high TA.

Thanks
    According to Effects of Adding Chemicals in http://www.poolcalculator.com/, each gallon of 31% MA will lower pH by 1.23 and TA by 20. So...maybe 7 gallons, spread out over a looooooong time. What's your target?

I wouldn't be in too big a hurry with the TA. It's not critical for you because the CH is not really high. Just adjust pH each time it gets to 7.8, it will come down eventually. If you get tired of adjusting every other day or whatever, then commit yourself to spending a weekend with this:
    pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!