Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Our outdoor music solution

1. Back To Top    #1

Our outdoor music solution

Here is what I did for our outdoor music solution. It allows us to sit out by the pool and play any of our MP3’s and radio stations (from ANYWHERE) using our iPhone or Android phone/tablets. We can even control the volume, make playlists “on the go” or play pre-made playlists.

We had an old computer sitting around that wasn’t used anymore – older P4 with 1.5 GB of RAM – PERFECT!

1. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu Linux. Don’t worry, it looks and feels a lot like Windows, but it’s FREE! You can get it at http://www.ubuntu.com
    a. If you want to install it on a computer that you also want to keep running Windows on, it will create a “Dual Boot” and allow you to run whichever Operating System you want at any given time.
    b. If you can spare a computer and dedicate it to your outdoor music, then this is PERFECT!

2. After getting Ubuntu installed, I then installed XBMC. The easiest instructions are here: http://www.noobslab.com/2013/01/inst...in-ubuntu.html
    a. The instructions are on the bottom of the page in red.
    b. You can also set XBMC to load automatically when Ubuntu starts. That’s how I do it and I don’t even need a monitor attached to the computer, plus I can turn off the computer with the XBMC app.

3. After transferring all of our MP3's to the Ubuntu machine, I then connected the audio out to my little $55, 75-watt amplifier, ran speaker wires across the attic to Yamaha outdoor speakers.
    a. http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Ste...pyle+amplifier
    b. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW15...tdoor+speakers

4. Additional useful resources:
    a. Adding streaming radio stations to XBMC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlzmfNDDaOs
    b. XBMC: http://xbmc.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28,000 Gal, IG Gunite/pebble, Filter – Sand Dollar SD-80 (75 GPM), Pump – TBD, Install – Apr 2013, Ozonator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Our outdoor music solution

I almost forgot. If we have music on our iphone and not the computer, we can use AirPlay to play it on our phone and it will be broadcast through the computer.
    28,000 Gal, IG Gunite/pebble, Filter – Sand Dollar SD-80 (75 GPM), Pump – TBD, Install – Apr 2013, Ozonator

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice little set up there, great use of an "old" PC and you can't beat XBMC.

I have a similarly powerful PC and it sits central to the house as a file server, only major distinction is I use Windows XP so if anyone is interested in a similar set up as yours, but leary of linux (not that they should be) Windows will work no problem, just a bigger install footprint.

How are you controlling your media playback? Cellphone or something?

I use a Squeezebox version 3 with built in wireless, Squeezebox is an awesome brand and the wireless is plenty strong enough to run lossless flac's.
    My initial speakers were underpowered though, outdoor audio just bleeds away the bass if the speakers are cheap (which mine were). I had to haul out my old 1990's monster speakers but they sound much better, bass is there now.
    How are those Yamaha's, how is the bass?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

There is an official XBMC app that's really easy to use as well as other "unofficial" apps for most modern phones.

The bass is OK, but I would prefer more.

That's very true about XBMC, it can be used on windows as well!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can also download and install XBMCbuntu, so you have everything you need in one package.

But, I use a Windows app called Subsonic. You run it on the "server" and can control it via several different apps or via a webpage. To play from the "server" you use it in jukebox mode. Or you can stream from it to your devices, even over 3G/4G/LTE.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I tried XBMCbuntu but didn't have any luck installing it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Interesting, I built a media server for my father and had no trouble with it. Nature of FOSS I guess.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd say it was probably more of my fault. I was swapping out old video cards and trying both the Intel and AMD releases but couldn't get a good match. The case I had was an old Dell that was too thin for a standard video card. Then I figured I could put that processor into a different motherboard that had a old Celeron in it. I already had that box set-up with Ubuntu and XBMC so I figure I'd just leave it all alone.

9. Back To Top    #9

I still have my original Xbox 1 soft modded with the first version of XBMC, runs on my 720p plasma, still runs like a champ many many years later.
    Just recently modded an apple TV1 with an upgraded video card and now streaming 1080p from my file server via XBMC frodo and Crystalbuntu.

Great piece of software.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

10. Back To Top    #10

I've been looking at options to get music out by the pool and this seems to be a pretty good way to do it. I have a few questions though.
    What type of cable/connector is the audio input on the amp?
    I have a netbook thats just sitting around, it has an earphone jack for audio out. Would this work in conjunction with that type of amp?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

11. Back To Top    #11

I use that same port on my sound card, for computer speakers or an earphone, with RCA connectors on the other end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LM...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

12. Back To Top    #12

FYI, a similar setup can be achieved using a Raspberry Pi (appx $35) if you don't have an old computer lying around. I used a Raspberry Pi to control my pool light from my smartphone: i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606.html
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1120
    FYI, a similar setup can be achieved using a Raspberry Pi (appx $35) if you don't have an old computer lying around. I used a Raspberry Pi to control my pool light from my smartphone: i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606.html
    I like that and think I'll have to start playing around with the Raspberry Pi. As I was researching the Pi, I found this: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14629

14. Back To Top    #14

Fantastic idea. Thanks!
    Vette, DH, & 2 DDs Our IG AGP Build
    In-ground Radiant 24', 1.5 Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward Sand Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

This is a great idea! Great way to incorporate the use of your smart phone to control the music playing from anywhere.
    "I feel most at home in the water. I disappear. That's where I belong."
    - Michael Phelps

16. Back To Top    #16

I second that. Low cost solution too. I can already smell the solder burning my hands... eh, it's worth it.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install