Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poor guy at pool store.

1. Back To Top    #1

Poor guy at pool store.

I just want to thank everyone here... I just left the local pool store after signing the contract for my 12x24 doughboy pool. While sitting there filling out paperwork I here a poor soul get talked into 30lbs of shock to get him through the rest of the season. He also left with various bottles of other ****. Ugh glad I'm not him. The salesmen sounded upset when I told him to keep all his start up chemicals and that I would maintain it myself. Got to love TFP.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poor guy at pool store.

30 pounds of shock... I hope he's draining every year!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

heavyweight, good for you!
    Your off to the right start by telling him to keep his "free" chemicals.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

It sucks knowin you can't save them all.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

If that guy at the pool store works on commission, he ain't poor. Not this time of year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The guy that bought all that junk is going to be though!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by heavyweight_4u
    It sucks knowin you can't save them all.
    Y'all saved me just recently, but I was already telling a guy I work with who has a pool my troubles and what I'm doing to fix them based on the advice here, but he just doesn't get it. He's got a SWG, but shocks and doses with algacide and PhosFree weekly.

I was showing him the comparison between my test and the pool store's test and he saw phosphates at 100 on the pool store test results and said I need to get some PhosFree in there to get rid of the "algae food" or I'll have big problems.

Dave
    32K gallon, 20x40 vinyl IG. Liner replaced 5/2010. Hayward SuperPump 1HP single speed running 24/7,Hayward CL-200 in-line chlorinator. Hayward S244T sand filter (new sand 5/2013). Dolphin Diagnostic cleaner. Taylor K2006 Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNC
    I was showing him the comparison between my test and the pool store's test and he saw phosphates at 100 on the pool store test results and said I need to get some PhosFree in there to get rid of the "algae food" or I'll have big problems.

Dave
    That's when you tell him you feed the algae a heavy dose of chlorine when it comes out for din din!

I would be fired if I worked at a pool store. No other way to put it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I had someone tell me that because I have a salt pool I'd have to shock 4 or 5 times a year.

I'm still waiting for that first time...

10. Back To Top    #10

Robbie, it's easy, my friend shocks every other night, he just walks around and sprinkles some shock in....it's so easy he dosn't even have to measure it.
    So I'm told anyways.
    I've mentioned bleach, but ya know that stuff wrecks your liner eh!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

11. Back To Top    #11

Good for you for telling him to keep his chemicals... I bet he's never heard that one before. I imagine that felt good to you!

cramar... Just a sprinkle of shock every other night keeps the algae away.. ? Hmmm... and I wonder if he's ever noticed how strikingly similiar his pool chemicals smell to bleach ??

Sometimes you just have to laugh
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

12. Back To Top    #12

I would have said Ill take some CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem