Can I change this skimmer basket?

Taylor

Jun 21, 2013
Just purchased a new home with a SWP. The skimmer basket has a solid bottom which I've never seen before. It really restricts water flow and I just watch bugs and debris pass right by it. Can I replace this with a basket that holes on the bottom? Or is there a reason for this basket?

51nA7P1ny2L._SY300_.jpg

Welcome! :wave:

It looks like they might have incorporated a diverter into the basket. Can you tell us what that thing fits? Maybe someone can find a reference somewhere.

In the meantime....are there two holes into bottom of the skimmer beneath the basket, and only one has suction?

Not sure what you mean what it fits. It's the basket for the pool skimmer. It's a Pentair Pac-Fab Skimmer Basket. Yes there are two holes below the basket. One has a PVC cap and no longer in use. I also talked to Pentair since this post and they no longer make this design. They also don't make a basket that has stainer holes in the bottom either. They told me if I could find a basket that did to go ahead and use it. I just can't find one that actually fits.

Taylor said:
I've been doing it all day. The guy at Leslie's pool said I'm not the first to ask for something to replace it. It's a stupid design. It really limits flow into the basket.
There's always a drill bit. If you stretch a nylon over it, who cares if the holes are a little oversized?
[center:1t9cpdiy]
file.php
[/center:1t9cpdiy]

That skimmer basket looks exactly like the one for my Pentair PacFab Skim-Clean Skimmer. I couldn't find a better parts diagram, but you'll see the similarity in this one. I don't have a problem with that basket, but i do have the skimmer it is supposed to go in. Its pretty old, so I don't think they sell it any more.

Edit

Whoops, after all that i didnt read your subsequent posts. I was assuming that somebody had put the wrong basket in your skimmer. I did try a couple of other baskets until i found the correct one and never did come up with one that acutally fit. I wish i could, since that one will not work with my vacuum plate. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

Has any anyone actually been able to replace this basket? I have the same, and I need to replace it because the outer ring is broken. Although I found a replacement online, I wanted to see if anyone was able to find a replacement that is a newer design, with hole on the bottom like all other newer baskets. I bought a bigger one on Leslie's to test, the outer ring is about 8" and the height is a little more than the original, I was able to push it through (if it works I will need to file the outer ring a bit) the opening of the actual skimmer, but not sure how well it will perform. The original basket sits all the way on the bottom of the skimmer, and this new one, since it is bigger, will sit a little higher.

skimmer basket.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.