TF-100 kit on the way but trying to balance in the mean time

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
Okay, so I'm doing the best I can with the crappy test kit I have now. Best I can tell these are my results from last night.

FC- 5
pH- under 6.8
TA- 40
CYA- 0

The pH was reading off the charts so we tried lowering it and dumped a little too much muriatic acid in. Way too much. So last night I put in 4 lbs of Borax and it helped some. Meaning when I test the pH the result isn't as yellow, lol. I really don't know what to do. Should I add more borax to raise pH or should I add Baking Soda to raise pH and TA? I also need to add stabilizer but I don't know when to do it? I've already screwed up once with the acid and don't want to do it again. My TF-100 kit should be delivered either Tues/Wed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Re: TF-100 kit on the way but trying to balance in the mean

Is that a drop kit or test strips?
If test strips, just worry about keeping FC in the pool.

If drops... add baking soda. Target 80. There should be little effect on pH. Recheck it after an hour of running and some brushing to be sure it's well mixed. If you're way over or way under, you need to adjust the pool volume you've been using in calculations. Otherwise you'll be yo-yoing all summer long.

Then, with some idea if the volume is correct and the TA up, test and adjust pH with Borax or Soda Ash.

CYA should be at least 30, but if there has been any pucks or powders dumped in, it won't be starting from zero, so add enough via the sock method to raise it 20 PPM.

And keep the FC around 4-5 until you can get trustworthy test results and fine tune everything.

I have both, test strips and a cheap 4 way drop kit.
My husaband heard me wrong, and dumped an entire bottle of muriatic acid in. Yikes!

My pool is a 21ft round 48 inch so I was going by 10,400 for the gallons. This is based on the pool calculator formula. Do you know if the formula is based on a 48 inch pool not being filled the actual 48 inches? I wonder if I should lower the number of gallons.

We just put this pool up and I started off right away with the BBB method. No pucks or powders have been used so I know my CYA is a big fat 0. Do I go ahead and add the CYA now while I start adjusting the TA with baking soda? My husband just tested again and said the FC is now a 0 just since last night.

According to the pool calculator I should add 75oz of baking soda to get TA up to 80 from 40. Should I add all this at once or do half and test?

Iwilk said:
I have both, test strips and a cheap 4 way drop kit.
My husaband heard me wrong, and dumped an entire bottle of muriatic acid in. Yikes!

My pool is a 21ft round 48 inch so I was going by 10,400 for the gallons. This is based on the pool calculator formula. Do you know if the formula is based on a 48 inch pool not being filled the actual 48 inches? I wonder if I should lower the number of gallons.

We just put this pool up and I started off right away with the BBB method. No pucks or powders have been used so I know my CYA is a big fat 0. Do I go ahead and add the CYA now while I start adjusting the TA with baking soda? My husband just tested again and said the FC is now a 0 just since last night.
Break out a tape measure and get the actual depth. You're treating the water, not he pool, so you need to know how much is in there, not how much could be in there.

Yes, the CYA will take a few days to dissolve. I'd dump in the baking soda and then mess around tying the CYA sock up while the baking soda dissolves and mixes.

Right, that's why I asked if the formula accounted for a full 48 inch or left a little leeway there. :-D
I will measure when I get home.

As far as the actual sock, lol. How in the world do I do it? Just get a sock and put the stuff in it, tie it up and put it in the skimmer?

Thanks again for your help! Love that you reply back so quick! :goodjob:

Iwilk said:
Right, that's why I asked if the formula accounted for a full 48 inch or left a little leeway there. :-D
I will measure when I get home.

As far as the actual sock, lol. How in the world do I do it? Just get a sock and put the stuff in it, tie it up and put it in the skimmer?

Thanks again for your help! Love that you reply back so quick! :goodjob:
2013-05-22220453.jpg

image3rh.jpg

image4es.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.