Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pH drifts upwards in a fairly short span of time

1. Back To Top    #1

The pH drifts upwards in a fairly short span of time

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this post, but I came here to post the same question.
    Post split to a new topic. Yes we mind. JasonLion

TA = 100-110
    pH = drifts up to 7.6-7.8 within a week of me bringing it to 7.4ish
    CH = (can't recall my reading last night, but likely 200ish)

I've found over the past month or so that the pH drifts upwards in a fairly short span of time. My TA was around 140, so I calculated how much acid to use to bring it down, then let the pH rise naturally. But now I find I've been adding acid each week to get the pH back in line. The worst thing is, I haven't really used the pool that much at all. Maybe twice in the past month!

Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The pH drifts upwards in a fairly short span of time

Lower your TA down to around 60 to 70 and see how that does.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A lot of things contribute to PH rising. Mine goes from 7.2 to 7.8 in five days like clockwork. I have two waterfalls, a sprinkler to cool the pool, a SWCG, and new plaster all of which contribute to rising PH.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

Once a week isn't bad for adjusting pH.

Methinks you doth protest too much.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I adjust mine weekly - I think expecting to never have to adjust pH just isn't realistic. Mine makes about the same change over a week.
    Summer Escapes 15'x42" AGP, Intex 14" sand filter, Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Same weekly regime here as well.Now that I know my pool,I just add 9oz MA every week and check only every 2 weeks. Always right on the money. Also. Keep in mind bleach has a pH of about 11.5-12. That's adds to the drift too.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Elbow, post up all your pool specifics. Do you have features (slide, fountain, waterfall), salt water chlorine generator, etc.?

I have to adjust mine once a week, a gallon a week, and that's with borates at 50 and TA of 70.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Elbow, post up all your pool specifics. Do you have features (slide, fountain, waterfall), salt water chlorine generator, etc.?

I have to adjust mine once a week, a gallon a week, and that's with borates at 50 and TA of 70.
    I thought I had it bad. I add about a quart of MA every week with borates at 50 and TA of 70.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex

I thought I had it bad. I add about a quart of MA every week with borates at 50 and TA of 70.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

You are adjusting a 9000/15000 gallon pool. Mine is 44,000.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

You are adjusting a 9000/15000 gallon pool. Mine is 44,000.
    Noticed that after I posted. I have it worse!!
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't have fountains or spa. That's why.

13. Back To Top    #13

Here are my specifics:

20,000 gallon pool
    No water features
    DE filter with fiberclear
    Water is new (3 months) but the plaster and pipes are old (potentially 30-40 years!)
    Pump is variable speed Pentair (new as of March)

Chem:
    TA: 100-110
    Hardness: can't recall, but "normal" by my test strip standards. 200 ppm?
    CYA: 40-50
    Borates: ??? (Just learned about this variable and I'm wondering if checking and adjusting this might help stabilize mt pH)
    Combined Cl: 0.5 ppm
    FC (as of yesterday): 4-5ppm

I'm using bleach for my Cl source, and have been using muriatic acid to adjust pH down weekly. Tabs occasionally.

In light of all your responses, I'm surprised to see that having pH drifts this frequently is "normal." I assumed that with a good TA, the pH would only shift over longer periods of time and/or with heavy use. If weekly shifts of 0.4ppm is normal, than I suppose thanks to all of you for letting me in on that information.

All the same, I'm going to check out my borates anyway, to satisfy my curiosity.

If my pool/chem details show anything as being odd, please let me know.

Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by TheElbow
    by my test strip standards.

So we have a stripper eh?

You should really consider investing in a reliable test kit as strips can be unreliable.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    by my test strip standards.

So we have a stripper eh?

You should really consider investing in a reliable test kit as strips can be unreliable.

No I have the TF kit, but I didnt have the hardness reading handy and the strips were the last time I measured it (kit reading was a few weeks back)

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, it's good to know you have a test kit!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Lower your TA down to around 60 to 70 and the PH drift will slow down significantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

I have no problem doing this, but isn't that a low TA? Won't it cause the pH to swing more wildly?

19. Back To Top    #19

I have no problem doing this, but isn't that a low TA? Won't it cause the pH to swing more wildly?
    It will get down there eventually if you keep adding acid to adjust pH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

If you are using trichlor tablets as a chlorine source, then yes that is way too low a TA. But if you are using bleach, liquid chlorine, a SWG, or cal-hypo, then the recommended TA is 60 to 80 (or 70 to 90 depending) and your TA is too high, thus the PH drift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast