Manual pool vacuum operation

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi,

I was looking for instructions to operate a manual pool vacuum. I already have a Polaris auto-cleaner from the previous owner, but I'd like to have a back up plan. Educate me please! I'm a total pool newbie.

Thanks

You need a vacuum plate, vacuum hose, vacuum head for vinyl pool, and a telescoping pole.
1. Empty the skimmer basket.
2. Attach the vacuum head to the pole.
3. Attach the hose to the vacuum head.
4. Place vacuum head in water.
5. Hold the end of the hose over the return with the pump running to force any air out of the hose.
6. Attach the hose to the vacuum plate.
7. Insert vacuum plate in the skimmer. Try to keep the plate under water or seal off the opening in the plate with your hand to keep as much air out of the hose as possible while putting the vacuum plate in the skimmer.
8. Push the vacuum slowly to avoid stirring up the debris as you go.

Check the skimmer basket if the vacuum becomes weak and empty as needed.

I have a polaris and love it, but there are times when you need to manually vacuum. I was so confused the first few times I manually vacuumed, but watching a video like the one below was really helpful to me. Make sure that you have a leaf basket in your skimmer or a leaf catcher in this video if you need to vacuum leaves and twigs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEu0zI9dVb4

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.