Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual pool vacuum operation

1. Back To Top    #1

Manual pool vacuum operation

I was looking for instructions to operate a manual pool vacuum. I already have a Polaris auto-cleaner from the previous owner, but I'd like to have a back up plan. Educate me please! I'm a total pool newbie.

Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Manual pool vacuum operation

You need a vacuum plate, vacuum hose, vacuum head for vinyl pool, and a telescoping pole.
    1. Empty the skimmer basket.
    2. Attach the vacuum head to the pole.
    3. Attach the hose to the vacuum head.
    4. Place vacuum head in water.
    5. Hold the end of the hose over the return with the pump running to force any air out of the hose.
    6. Attach the hose to the vacuum plate.
    7. Insert vacuum plate in the skimmer. Try to keep the plate under water or seal off the opening in the plate with your hand to keep as much air out of the hose as possible while putting the vacuum plate in the skimmer.
    8. Push the vacuum slowly to avoid stirring up the debris as you go.

Check the skimmer basket if the vacuum becomes weak and empty as needed.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Fairfax, VA

Re: Manual pool vacuum operation

I have a polaris and love it, but there are times when you need to manually vacuum. I was so confused the first few times I manually vacuumed, but watching a video like the one below was really helpful to me. Make sure that you have a leaf basket in your skimmer or a leaf catcher in this video if you need to vacuum leaves and twigs.
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig Heater 336K BTU, TF-100 test kit.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain