Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine Vs Pool Shock - Can someone answer this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine Vs Pool Shock - Can someone answer this?

I tried to find this in a string, sorry I couldn't locate.

I usually use the 1lb dry packets of super shock. 53% cal-hypo I think.

How many gallons of liquid bleach = the 1lb bag powder shock?

Thanks for your help!
    25,000 Gallon In-ground. DE Filter. Hayward Pump. Fairly new at this, so it's still a pain in the butt.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine Vs Pool Shock - Can someone answer this?

It depends on the strength of the bleach, but roughly one gallon. (134 oz of 6% or 98 oz of 8.25% bleach)
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Also keep in mind that the LC doesn't have calcium (cal-hypo) or stabilizer (dichlor). Therefore it's better.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

When you say "LC" do you mean "Bleach" or do you mean the liquid chlorine from the pool store? I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative...
    25,000 Gallon In-ground. DE Filter. Hayward Pump. Fairly new at this, so it's still a pain in the butt.

5. Back To Top    #5

...or are they interchangeable...

6. Back To Top    #6

If it's liquid - be it bleach or liquid shock - it won't have any CYA in it unless there's something out there I don't know about.

If it's powder, beware.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Benspot
    ...or are they interchangeable...
    Liquid chlorine is exactly the same chemical as bleach. It is normally sold in higher concentrations, typically 10% or 12.5%, which are easier to carry than bleach. Liquid chlorine is not available in all areas. Ask your pool store if they carry it. Liquid chlorine is often less expensive than bleach, once you take it's higher strength into account. For the rest of this section I will refer to both bleach and liquid chlorine as bleach.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...pool_chemicals
    Also see
    bleach-prices-2013-t58266.html
    comparing-chlorine-costs-t39243.html

[center:3m9375e0][/center:3m9375e0]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

A lot of people use Clorox prices from Sam's as a basis, or Costco. If you can beat that price elsewhere, go for it. I would bet most often off-sale, it's around the best price available.

I'm buying 10% at $12.49/4gal.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

I, too, wonder about the difference between liquid chlorine (bleach) and liquid shock (like Buckman's Liquid Shock which only lists ingredients as 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and the rest "other ingredients").
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

10. Back To Top    #10

There is no reason to bump a 2 year old thread ....

A quick search and you will see that the only difference between bleach and liquid chlorine is the strength. Bleach is anything up to 8.25% (usually 6 or 8.25). Liquid chlorine is usually 10% or 12.5%.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Jason, you can buy bleach from janitorial supply places that is commonly up to 12.5% so in other words they are exactly the same thing
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

I think that Isaac-1 is right - through my searching at times I found they were the same, yet I would see a post or more that would say otherwise. You all give percentages - am I correct to assume the percentages you are giving are for Sodium Hypochlorite? Why not "bump" a thread if it needs more clarity??
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, it is the percentage of sodium hypochlorite.

The reason not to bump or hijack another poster's thread is because it is the original poster's thread and you aren't asking or answering a question for the original poster. If you want to ask your own question it is best to start a new thread.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by aarsic View Post
    I, too, wonder about the difference between liquid chlorine (bleach) and liquid shock (like Buckman's Liquid Shock which only lists ingredients as 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and the rest "other ingredients").
    If you are wondering about the "other ingredients" in chlorinating liquid and bleach, see this post where you will find that it is mostly water and some sodium chloride salt. There is a small amount of excess lye (sodium hydroxide) and Clorox bleach has a tiny amount of sodium polyacrylate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you Chem geek! Ah, Pooldv - I WAS asking the same question - I don't feel that it was answered adequately before and I did a search FIRST on this exact topic which led me to THIS thread. Originally the post was "liquid chlorine vs pool shock" BUT it was answered as if the question was liquid chlorine vs bleach. Not was either of us were asking. So please reread all of the questions AND answers before you jump on me. Thanks again chem geek - but I think that Isaac-1 is the only one who answered the question appropriately as it was addressed. Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent post on the ingredients Richard.
    ​aarsic

16. Back To Top    #16

It's just the way this forum is, they'd rather have 100 new threads a day on the same basic topics then everyone with a green pool posting in the same ongoing thread. Reduces cross posting and lets the op get his or her answers more easily. It does mean there are like 5 pages of new threads every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the original question asked how much liquid chlorine is equivalent to cal hypo. It was answered in the second post.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir