Replacing a Pentair Superflo 1.5hp

Backlash

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
I need to replace my current pump. I would like to go to a more efficient pump system. Will probably stay with Pentair. I have a 29,000 gallon inground vinyl pool with 2 skimmers/drain, 4 jets, dedicated line for the Polaris, and a slide. Manual valves control the Polaris, jets, and slide.

I am looking at the intelliflo vs+ pump($868), the whisperflo 2 speed($650), and the superflo 2 speed ($450).

Seems the intelliflo would save more $$ in electric consumption. Power cost here is about $0.13/kw.

I am also concerned about service issues, as the intelliflo vs has a controller on the pump - do they hold up long term?

I would like some advice as to which route to take.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to TFP!

If your main concern is saving money, get the two speed version of your current pump, or if you don't have a spa or fountain, get the two speed version of the 1 HP SuperFlo. Two speed pumps save quite a bit compared to a single speed. Your electrical rates are low enough that you are unlikely to save enough money beyond the 2 speed savings to ever pay for the up front cost of a true variable speed pump.

Is the wet end of your current pump dead? You can get a lot of savings by just upgrading your motor to a high-efficiency 2-speed and spend a lot less money. I upgraded my WhisperFlo this way and the savings were dramatic.

Wet end probably damaged. The wife has let the pump run dry before, has also turned all output valves to off. Pump has run hot to the extent I had to replace the swollen, pvc-turned-brown pipes. And the O-rings in the valves. The fact the pump kept working at all, much less the last year made my decision to stick with Pentair easy. Pump motor makes much noise, sometimes doesn't come on, and pump also makes noise and I have to manipulate valves to make things work.

At this point, am leaning toward the intelliflo vs+ because of the extra hp to run the dedicated Polaris line off the program with the jets running also. Also have a big slide that needs decent pressure, so the extra available HP may come in handy. Also like the built in timer.

Thanks for the help. I have been lurking at many different threads and have learned a lot already from this sight.

Thanks,

Backlash
29k inground vinyl salt pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.