Help Please!! Confusing Vaccuum Issue. Any takers???

Jun 21, 2013
New Hampshire
Please note my terrible MS Paint visual below.

If the water level drops below the connector on the hose itself I hear gurgling and air gets into my pump and I lose the prime. The obvious answer to me was 'faulty hose', but I have bought 2 new ones...so I have gone 3 for 3 with this issue and I am frustrated.

I have to keep my water level very high, over the top of the hose assembly connector, in order to vaccuum. Keeping the water level high makes the skimmer pointless, as the water level is above the skimmer intake. If I vaccuum to waste then I only get 10 mins or so before I can't anymore...then have to refill pool with garden hose for an hour to start again.

Attachments

• poolhose.JPG
    poolhose.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 71
Hi, welcome to TFP! Since it seems to be an issue with the hose you could try wrapping the area between the connector and the hose with rubberized plumber's tape and see if that seals the air leak. You could also try sealing it with silicon caulk. Duct tape would be another quick option to see if that stops the problem.

My vacuum coupling (elbow style) also needs to be completely submerged to function properly, so you are not alone on this, however, normal water levels are sufficient for me. I would also give the silicone a try. Good luck!

Mine is the same way, I just assumed that they had to be completely submerged... I just top off the pool before I vacuum, but it is kinda annoying. I'm curious to know if the silicone works :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...I don't think the plate has anything to do with it. It is really the end of the hose area, see diagram.

That said, without the plate I could certainly get it deeper so I could vaccuum at a normal water level...so great idea! But I don't have anything to hold the hose on the hole...does suction take care of that?. I'm not very crafty, unsure I could create something. Also, if you get leaves, etc...do you then have to empty out the basket at the pump? Obviously the skimmer basket has to be removed to put the hose directly to the hole.

As far as I have seen, all modern hoses leak at the ends (swivel or not). So it's not really a problem with the hose--it's just the nature of the beast.

My current skimmer has a cup that accepts the hose cuff loosely and then suction holds it in place just fine. My older 1960's vintage skimmer did not have a cup so I needed to thread a nipple into the hole and push on to that. It depends on your skimmer's hole but it should be easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.