Iron in water in city

Jun 21, 2013
I have had a pool in the past in a different city and used chlorine no troubles. Moved to a smaller town and was told the city water in the town was higher in iron than normal. Just got a new pool and filled it with the hose. Was told by the pool folks I was going to need to add all these metals out etc chemicals to get it to look right. I started my sand filter and put sticks in the skimmer. Have the initial algecide put in also. It has been almost a week but have not had it tested for ph levels and chlorine levels. Was told NOT to shock it yet until we work on the iron in the water. Is this correct or should I try shocking it slowly and let the filter keep doing its job?

Forgot to mention the water is crystal clear and have backwashed the filter once a day in the morning and the water was coming out orange/rust, is that the iron getting filtered out? Just want to be sure I am going to correct route with the iron issue I have. Please let me know. Thanks

Hi, welcome to TFP! Odds are if you raise the chlorine to shock level your water will turn brown and stain the surfaces of the pool. Your best bet is to add sequestrant to the water and replenish it periodically to keep the iron in solution. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Follow the instructions on the product for best results.

Thanks zea3. When you say add sequestrant I can find this in the pool store?
What they wanted me to add, but have not been back yet is Bio-Dex Super Concentrated Protect-All Supreme, says it controls Iron, rust etc. along with adding in sparkle up from Bio-Guard. Are these the same things you mentioned?
When you say to keep the iron in solution, you mean to keep it in liquid form and the filter will clean it out as we run and backwash it? is that the rust/orange water we are seeing backwashed out?

Sorry so many questions I want to get this right the first time and not mess up or spend needless money or time on it incorrectly. Thanks

Metals don't really filter out, they either stay in suspension which is good, or precipitate out and stain your pool and water which is bad. The only way to remove metals is to drain and refill with metal free water. Some folks are able to find metal free water and have it delivered, but it is costly. The Bio-Dex Super Concentrated Protect-All Supreme is supposed to be used with another product to remove the stains. I would look for Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff, or Pro Team's Metal Magic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.