High TA and TH

inindy

Jun 18, 2013
I tested using the hth 6-way test:

cl .5
pH 7.5
TH 530 ppm
TA 400 ppm ...I stopped at 40 drops of the alkalinity titrant when I saw a red swirl but the water never turned completely red
cya ? ...per the test "fill tube until you can no longer see the black dot" ...I filled it all the way and could still see the dot and my water was not cloudy

If you haven't added any stabilizer - and that includes using pucks or dichlor powdered "shock" - you won't see any CYA in the test. It's not present in tap water.

The alkalinity seems amazingly high with pH normal like that. But it's not a priority; it's really just there to help you calculate the acid dose to adjust pH.

You need to add some CYA and then raise FC to the proper level for that. For a small pool like yours, three pounds of dichlor would raise the CYA to about 50. But don't add it all at once. Use it to chlorinate, about 1/4 cup at a time until it's all used up, then switch to bleach. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will actually tell you how much to add precisely.

If you do go buy dichlor, it's usually sold as "shock". However, there is more than one kind of shock, so READ THE LABEL.

Your chlorine will burn up pretty fast without CYA. If you want to add it use the Pool calculator to determine how much you need, place it in a sock and hang it in front of the return outlet. Give the sock a good squeeze or two a few times a day until it is all dissolved.

I am concerned that your TH is so high. Have you been using calcium hypochlorite to chlorinate your pool?

You do have high TA, if the test result is accurate. Since it was starting to flash red you where likely within a few drops of the endpoint of the test. I am only concerned when TA is high if Calcium is high as well, or if the pH rises quickly.

I have only added one puck, hth Super 3" chloranating tablets. I shocked one time using hth shock 'n swim. I have hth stabilizer & conditioner, is it ok to use that to bring up the cya?

I don't understand why the TA is so high yet the ph is ok? I am using well water, so I guess that has something to do with the TA and TH.

Since it is just a small pool, I guess I'll be fine as long as my chlorine and ph stay at good levels.

Be careful with the HTH chlorine products. I believe some of them have copper. As far as stabilizer, yes, HTH stabilizer is fine. Since your pool is so small, if something starts to go wrong, you could easily just drain and refill.

Also, if I use the hth stabilizer to bring up the cya, it says I have to wait 2 days before entering the pool. Is that correct? It says it is 96% cyanuric acid. Should I use something else?

It's fine to be in the pool with the stabilizer. Put however much you need in a sock and tie it in front of a return. If you get a CYA test, wait a week after adding to test. However, chlorinate assuming it is all dissolved and active.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.