Newbie digging a hole today! Main drain question

Jun 19, 2013
I am installing my own in ground 16X32 vinyl kit, which comes with two main drains for the deep end (8 ft) but am considering not
using them for safty reasons, and ease of installation. My questions is, would i still have proper circulation with my two main returns, the little step jets and just the skimmer? Are there additional things to add to the build for pools with no main drains? Now is the time to decide!

Thank You!
Steve

I'm loving this site!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Many pools do fine without a main drain (I don't have one) One skimmer and 2 returns is pretty minimal so you might consider adding perhaps another skimmer or locating a return so it specifically points down into the deep end but you will probably be OK as is without the main drain.

If installed properly there is no safety issue. Personally, I would include it. Can't go back and do it later. Especially if you are going to heat... will give you much better circulation.

Wow! thanks for the quick response. I just checked the kit it comes with 4 eyeball type returns. I agree with jtech1 on not being able to add it later so I am a little worried about it. At about 19000 gal. and I am not heating. I'd like to make sure I am on the right track.

A couple points:

1. From a plumbing standpoint it's really one drain with two access points. It must be plumbed with the drains 3 feet apart and balanced. So you are running only one line out of the pool.

2. Your pump is going to be working harder to suck water through 1/2 the volume on the suction side so depending on sizing your costs of operation may be higher.

3. You can't add it later if you are wrong.

My .02. Put the MD in. Trying to eliminate leak points is futile. As long as the plumbing is installed correctly and pressure tested, then there should be no worries. The MD was very easy to install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.