Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie digging a hole today! Main drain question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie digging a hole today! Main drain question

I am installing my own in ground 16X32 vinyl kit, which comes with two main drains for the deep end (8 ft) but am considering not
    using them for safty reasons, and ease of installation. My questions is, would i still have proper circulation with my two main returns, the little step jets and just the skimmer? Are there additional things to add to the build for pools with no main drains? Now is the time to decide!

Thank You!
    Steve

I'm loving this site!
    ~12600 gal AV ground
    Pebble Tec
    Sta-Rite 300 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite 2hp Filter Pump
    Sta-Rite 1.5hp booster for waterfal
    A&A Pool Cleaner System
    SAm lighting - 2

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Newbie digging a hole today! Main drain question

Welcome to the forum. Many pools do fine without a main drain (I don't have one) One skimmer and 2 returns is pretty minimal so you might consider adding perhaps another skimmer or locating a return so it specifically points down into the deep end but you will probably be OK as is without the main drain.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If installed properly there is no safety issue. Personally, I would include it. Can't go back and do it later. Especially if you are going to heat... will give you much better circulation.
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow! thanks for the quick response. I just checked the kit it comes with 4 eyeball type returns. I agree with jtech1 on not being able to add it later so I am a little worried about it. At about 19000 gal. and I am not heating. I'd like to make sure I am on the right track.
    ~12600 gal AV ground
    Pebble Tec
    Sta-Rite 2hp Filter Pump
    A&A Pool Cleaner System
    SAm lighting - 2

5. Back To Top    #5

A couple points:

1. From a plumbing standpoint it's really one drain with two access points. It must be plumbed with the drains 3 feet apart and balanced. So you are running only one line out of the pool.

2. Your pump is going to be working harder to suck water through 1/2 the volume on the suction side so depending on sizing your costs of operation may be higher.

3. You can't add it later if you are wrong.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

I would really consider adding the main drains...just my $.02
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

I also really like the idea of having less places for leaks to happen but would I still be able to have clean clear water?
    ~12600 gal AV ground
    Pebble Tec
    Sta-Rite 2hp Filter Pump
    A&A Pool Cleaner System
    SAm lighting - 2

8. Back To Top    #8

My .02. Put the MD in. Trying to eliminate leak points is futile. As long as the plumbing is installed correctly and pressure tested, then there should be no worries. The MD was very easy to install.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

Having grown up with a IGP without a main drain, I was very pleased to see that the pool in our new house had a main drain. Its very useful to have.

10. Back To Top    #10

Seems like not much support for leaving it out.
    ~12600 gal AV ground
    Pebble Tec
    Sta-Rite 2hp Filter Pump
    A&A Pool Cleaner System
    SAm lighting - 2

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine are mounted on the side of my pool, bout a foot up from the bottom. I didn't want to walk on them all the time, my pool is shallow see sig
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing