Cloudy and green

Mopool

Jun 21, 2013
Hi, i am new to the forum. I have read lots of great info so far. Our above ground pool keeps getting a green algae. My chlorine level is 3 and the pH is 7.5. I shocked with liquid chlorine last night and brushed the entire pool. This morning it is very milky and there is of course greenish yellow residue on bottom. My question is do I vacuum to waste now and backwash my filter? How long does it take to clear? I keep getting to this point and then it turns green again! Help please!
Melissa

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

You are not shocking your pool. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. That process must be followed precisely in order for your pool to clear. Dosing it once with chlorine won't work.

Vacuuming and backwashing your filter is all a part of that process described. It may take several days but there is no other way to get your pool really crystal clear.

It can be done but it does take time. It is a process not a one time action.

One of the best things you can do to help yourself is to order a good test kit. In my siggy is a link to the tests kits that we all use. They WILL save you time and money in the long run.

Good luck and happy swimming!

Ordered a test kit. Had pool place check my levels and they are as follows: FC 1.91, TC 2.33, pH 7.6, hardness 262, alkalinity 91.3 and CYA 79. They recommended 11.2 oz of shock and a bottle of Flock. What is your recommendation?

Mopool said:
Also, he said my chlorine was "locked up" and therefore not effective?? What are your thoughts on this?
He means your CYA is too high. To put it simply, the higher the CYA, the more FC you will need to sanitize. Read pool school and search for "green pool" threads. You will learn a lot very shortly.

What is your recommendation?

1. Stay out of the pool store

2.. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

3. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

4. You must follow that shock process in the pool school article. It will require your good kit and posting your own test results.

I had to go to the pool store to get an idea of a CYA reading...Regular pool, went ahead and did use the flock. Just vacuumed to waste the algae that was on the bottom. Pool water is clear but i still don't know about how much if any chlorine to add. I have liquid bleach. Do i need to put bleach in or not? It will be several days before my kit arrives. I don't want the algae to take over again. How can I keep that from happening?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While you are waiting for the test kit, you could assume that your CYA is as high as the pool store test (79) and find out what the recommended chlorine level should be for your pool by using the pool calculator. Then just try to keep it there until you have done your own testing. That could be enough to hold off the algae.
http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Assuming that the pool store may be somewhat close to your actual CYA level (which is doubtful) you need to bring your chlorine up to around 30, and keep it there until we know the actual CYA level from your own testing.

If it is actually that high, you may need to do a drain 1/3 and refill a couple of times to bring the CYA down to a reasonable level.

I guess I am just stuck out until my kit arrives. The little test kit I have is just an HTH 3 way test. I have no way of knowing if my chlorine is near 30...also just noticed that are are clear little particles floating in the water as well. Ugh

Other people are more experienced than I but IMHO you should definately keep chlorine in there until the test kit comes. If nothing else, shoot for a level you can measure. Bring it up as high as you can measure and keep it there until the kit comes, but don't let it drop to nothing.

Thanks everyone for the help. I added another gallon of concentrated bleach and tested again. Chlorine is high and Alkalinity is good. Going to try and keep it there until my kit arrives. Water is clear for now.

Please read through Pool School again until your test kit arrives and get aquainted with the pool calculator so you know how to use it when you get the kit. It all works together.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Ok, so my kit arrived this morning and my CyA is about 75-80, which is what the pool store told me. They say that the recommended range for this area is 80-85. I have been putting in 121oz of concentrated bleach everyday to try and keep the algae at bay. My other readings are as follows: FC 6, pH 7.5. I still have spots coming up in the pool each day that I am vacuuming out. I read in pool school but I don't know what my CYA level should be so I can figure how much to drain.

Can you please clarify what you meant by not losing that much last night?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support