im about to make the foundation for my pool, any tips?

Jun 17, 2013
chicago
i plan on putting the pool (15'x48" intex metal frame) on my existing paver patio (pavers are 16"x16"). i do need to tear it all up though and get it nice and level. its not to bad but you know an old patio can get. a little wavy here and there and a slight bit sloped. i plan on digging out the high side, which only seems to be no more than 2" higher. then just spread all that dirt and gravel mix around. leveling it with a 2x4 an 4' level. i'll probably throw in a few bags of gravel too. im guessing i should use a tamper too.

now for underneath the pool i plan on putting the tarp down on the pavers and then i just happen to have those interlocking rubber matts that you use on basement floors or even outside (1/2" thick or less). i figure i can put them on top of the tarp and then the pool on that. it will make a softer base and add a ton of protection. should i cut holes for the legs to go through? or would it be ok to put the legs directly on them?

one thing though is im not sure if i have enough of those matts, i think i do but with my luck i dont. if not, is it ok to just put the pool directly on the tarp?

is their anything else i should be doing? or does this all seem like a bad idea? i dont really want a big dirt circle in my yard the 9 months a yr that the pool is put away.

the pool holds 4400 gallons.

I don't have an intex but looks like you've put together a solid plan, sounds like youve researched things.
If you look at the link in my signature you'll see how I leveled my site, perhaps it will help you do yours.

Also, do you have a proper test kit?

funny enough is i havent really researched much. i bought the pool on a whim and it all fell into place lol. i just happen to have the rubber matts laying around and a patio i dont use that the pool will fit on.

i havent gotten a kit yet, but i plan on it this weekend.

I would just dig down to level and skip trying to raise low spots unless you have a commercial tamper for asphalt. There've been some horror stories here about what happens when you put tons of water onto fill, so matter how much you watered it to settle things.

Sorry we just entertaining you :) and always here to help...

We will pick you up on the way to the beer :D lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chino.... Went back and read your original post (sorry I thought it was Barb's)

How is it going on the paver patio set up? You had asked about horror stories on the unlevel... Some collapse, some don't... Mine had legs that sank into the ground (no bueno).

Would love to see pics when you get it set up :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
clambert1273 said:
Chino.... Went back and read your original post (sorry I thought it was Barb's)

How is it going on the paver patio set up? You had asked about horror stories on the unlevel... Some collapse, some don't... Mine had legs that sank into the ground (no bueno).

Would love to see pics when you get it set up :)

i actually changed everything. the pavers were a nightmare to lay down. so i just dug out the high side and leveled it the best i could (less than 1/4" off). added a tiny bit of pea gravel to get it completely level and then used 3/4" foam. going to put pressure treated wood under the legs and fill it up today. oh and i cut out the foam areas where the wood will go. maybe i will post pics...my backyard looks like a war zone at the moment lol. dirt, pavers, gravel, plastic and yard debri everywhere lol.

Lol mine looked the same way... I still have a cut piece of foam and the old tarp out there..

Reminded me to put it in trash tomorrow lol

i have foam all over my garage, gotta stash it in the rafters or somewhere. now im trying to figure out how to make it look somewhat decent around the pool. i have 3 large dogs so the usual mulch, rocks, ect is out of the question.

I put rubber mulch around mine :) I have 3 dogs and they haven't messed with the rubber mulch.

You could put river rock around it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.